33. Tears

I always understood why single people hated Valentine's Day but now that I'm alone on New Year's I'm not sure why the same hate isn't directed towards this holiday as well. The way it's celebrated is literally by counting down to midnight and kissing someone. I hated it.

"So, you doing anything exciting tonight?" I ask Farkle while we talk on Facetime. He had left yesterday and while I was still upset with him I couldn't help but lean on him. I wanted to talk to Maya but I refused to come between her and Lucas' friendship.

"Eh. My dad is having some of his co-workers over to ring in the New Year" he explains with a shrug. "So I'll probably end up spending this lovely holiday locked in my bedroom where no one can find me."

"Hm" I hum as I scroll through my Facebook, my eyes widening as I stumble upon Lucas' most recent status boasting about a party he was at tonight. "You've gotta be kidding me" I murmur as I stare at the post. It was as if he wasn't even affected by what was going on and it tore me up inside. After everything we shared with each other I couldn't believe that he could so easily move on without even having the respect to formally break up with me.

"What's up?" Farkle asks curiously. I look back up at him and shake my head.

"Lucas is at a party tonight" I explain making his eyes widen in surprise. "Gosh I know I shouldn't let him affect me like this but it's as if I meant nothing to him! I love him, I-I gave him everything" I add, almost in a whisper. "How could he just move on like nothing ever happened?" I ask softly as tears threaten to spill down my cheeks.

Farkle sighs. "He's not worth your tears Riles. In fact" he smirks. "If he's gonna rub how well he's doing in your face then why shouldn't you return the favor?" I look at him with furrowed eyebrows and he rolls his eyes at me in frustration. "Go to the party and show him that you're just as unaffected as he is."

My eyes widen. "Farkle I'm grounded."

"And? Your dad is seriously taking this way too far" he argues. "Go to the party. I guarantee that seeing you acting like your break isn't affecting you is going to drive him crazy."

I bring my bottom lip between my teeth, thinking over his words. "Do you really think I should?"

"If you don't I'll reach through this screen and slap some sense into you" he replies making me chuckle. "Riles seriously, you're an amazing girl and if he wants to act like he doesn't give a shit then you can do it too and do it a million times better."

I smile, looking up at my best friend. "Fine" I concede, "but if you never hear from me again just know that I love you and that my dad probably murdered me."

He chuckles. "Have fun drama queen" he smiles before our chat disconnects leaving me with one pressing question.

What the hell do you wear when you're trying to make your ex jealous?

*************************************************************************************

I walk into the party and I immediately feel out of place...and my feet are killing me for having to walk a mile and a half in a pair of heels. I step over the threshold and look around, hoping to find a familiar face and I can't help the smile that pulls at my lips as my eyes land on Maya playing beer pong in the dining room.

I walk towards her and her eyes widen as they land on me. "Riley" she exclaims, throwing her arms around me. "Oh my god I didn't know you were coming! I asked Luke if he invited you and he-."

"He didn't" I cut her off, glancing around. "Where is he anyway?" I ask curiously. She brings her bottom lip between her teeth as she points towards the kitchen were he's currently downing a shot, sitting on top of the counter while a blonde girl stands between his legs. Bile rises in my throat as I think of his hands on her while memories of our night in his truck swirl together.