Chapter Twelve: Showering

~June 16th~

I woke up next to Alex in his room. We got dressed and got ready for our baby shower. I wasn't as happy as I thought about it. We walked out in the hall and saw Alex's mom closing a paint can in the spare room. "Its done." She said to us. We walked in. The walls were painted baby pink and a crib was against a wall. She had a rug rolled up in the middle of the room and a dresser in the hall. I smiled.

"Its great." Alex said taking the words out of my mouth.

"Thank you." I said to her.

"No problem boys." She said to us. She took off an apron and followed us down the steps. "Where is the baby shower?" She asked me.

"Oh, its at my friend Cassadee's house. She planned it." I told her.

"Why are you two leaving?" She asked us.

"We need to be there a few hours in advance." Alex told her. She nodded and gave Alex a hug. He kissed her on the cheek and followed me out the door. I got in the passenger side of Alex's car and he jumped in the drivers side. "Do you have your licenses?" He asked me.

"Yeah, why?" I replied. 

"I have never seen you drive." He told me, "Not even to school." He started backing out of his driveway.

"Rian and Cassadee give me rides." I told him, "Plus, I don't have a car." 

"Oh." He said turning onto the road.

"I don't see the point." I told him, "Basically because, we are always together. Or Rian and Cass. Plus I don't know how safe it is to drive." 

"Yeah, I don't want you driving." He said to me. He grabbed my hand. "Who did she invite?" He asked me.

"Our parents, Rian, Zack Merrick, and a few others." I told him.

"Zack? Is that, the kid at the guitar store?" He asked me.

"Yeah, I'm close to him, so is Rian." I said to Alex. He nodded. "He's cool. He really funny. But he's quiet."

"Yeah. He seems out of it." Alex chuckled.

"Yeah. He is." I said to him. Alex pulled into Cassadee's driveway and parked. We got out of the car and knocked on the door. Cass opened it up and let us in. We walked into a room of chairs and tables. Rian was putting pink table cloths on the tables. He walked over and hugged me. He never hugged me it was weird. "Cass, what do you want me to set up?" I asked.

"Jack, sit. You and Alex don't need to do anything." She said to me.

"I'm helping." I said. I stood up and wobbled to the table. I grabbed some bows and put them on the back of chairs. Alex followed Cass into the kitchen to grab food. He came out with 7 empty bowls and 3 bags of chips. Cass had 4 bags. He started dumping them in. He put the bags under his feet. Cassadee handed him bags. She walked out and brought pink cups and two liters. She sat the cups out next to the pop.

"Rian." Cassadee said.

"Yes sweetie?" He replied to her.

"Please go pick up the cake from the cake shop across the road." Rian nodded and walked outside. "Alex or Jack? Can one of you come grab plates and the crock pot." I nodded. She handed me the plates and napkins. Alex grabbed a full black crock pot with a black lid and sat it on the other table. She sat out white plastic silverware and grabbed plates out of my hand. Rian walked back in the house and sat the cake on the table. Cassadee took off the lid. "Wow!" Printed across it was:

Congrats Alex and Jack!

I smiled and looked at Alex who was smiling. "Thanks Cass!" I said giving her a hug. Alex joined in.

"Your Welcome!" She said as both me and Alex sat down. Cassadee pointed to my seat. "That's for you. The one next to it is Alex."

"Okay." I smiled. I walked over and sat down on the chair. Alex sat next to me. He kept playing with my fingers.

-----------

15 minutes later:

My mom and dad walked in with my sister behind them. My brother wasn't  coming. He basically lost respect for me. Cassadee was shaking hands with everyone. She was overly excited. Alex's mom and aunt walked in. She shook hands with them. They came over and hugged us. One of the three of Alex's best friends came in. The other two basically stopped being around him. People sat gifts on a table behind me and Alex. We were going to open them at home so we didn't have to make a huge deal of everything. We all ate and talked about stuff Alex looked upset on the whole fact his friends totally gave up on him. The entire fact was his family hated him for it. People started to leave and my mom stayed into the house. She sent May out with my dad to stay in the car. Cassadee and Rian were boxing food for us.

"Jack... can we talk?" She asked me.

"Yeah.. Give me one second Alex." I said looking at him. He nodded he walked over and started talking to Rian.

"Why wasn't Alex's dad here?" She asked me. I was in complete shock.

"Oh, mom, I don't know." I paused, "I haven't met his dad..." I said with a blank expression.

"Jack, you should talk to Alex about this." She told me.

"I will." I told her. I was in shock. She hugged me and walked out the door. I didn't ever realize that. I just wondered: Did Alex even have a dad?