Chapter Thirty-One: My Only One (Part Two)

Alex got a little better about an hour later. He was sitting up and they brought us food. "When do we go home?" I asked the nurse giving us food. She reached down for Alex's papers.

"Jack you can tonight, Alex, you'll be here tonight." She said, "Lyric is going to be here for days possibly weeks." She said.

"Can we take her home if we stay and watch her. We'll take off work." I said.

"Neither one of you can work, until the end of April." She said, "I don't think so. She is so young she needs someone sitting with her always. 24/7." She said.

"Is she doing okay?" Alex asked stabbing his food with a knife.

"She is having issues breathing." She nurse said. I saw Alex's face fill with guilt, pain, and sadness.

"Is there anything you can do?" He asked her wiping a small tear from his eye. I shifted in the bed they brought me.

"Unfortunately, no." She said hanging a clip board on the wall. "I'm sorry." Alex started bawling. I reached across the little isles.

"Alex, please don't cry." I rubbed his thumb with my thumb, "I'll cry." I said.

"Our baby is dying and we can't see her for another hour." Alex said with tears streaming down his face.

"Fuck, Alex! I know!" I said trying to stay calm.

"I want to see her. Now!" He said trying to get up.

"Stop." I said tugging on his arm, "Your going to hurt yourself and break the IV line."

"God dammit, Jack! I want to see my baby!" He yelled.

"Alex, do you think that I don't?" I said, "They told us five! We have to stay with that." I said, "Like 30 minutes."  Alex looked at me with tears in his eyes.

"Do our parents know?" He asked me.

"No, were 18. They won't call unless we die." I said trying to cheer him up. He wiped a tear from his eye and grabbed his phone. He started typing.

"I'm gonna call my mom." He said quietly. He dialed a number and put the phone to his ear.

"Hi mom." He said and then paused.

"No, we're at the main branch in the hospital. My and Jack got in an accident this morning. The car is destroyed and I had to have glass removed from my face." He said sniffling. About a minute later he spoke.

"I wasn't driving. Jack was. But  it was my fault. I was messing with him." He said crying.

"No, I don't care about it, mom. I love him." He said a few seconds later.  He paused for a minute, "Mom, he is all I have. I don't care what you say about this." He said and then hung up. I waited for him to talk. He didn't speak.

"What's up?" I asked him.

"She's really upset." He said with his hand over his mouth, his face was red and his eyes were blood shot. "She thinks we should break up." I felt a knot in my throat and my face get red and hot, "Jack, I won't let her do it."

"Okay..." I said wiping tears off my face, "Alex, I am so sorry. I never meant this."

"I know you didn't." He said rubbing my arm, "I love you, Jacky." He said.

"I love you too, Lexy." He said.

-----

When they took Alex off of the machines they let us both walk since it was only two floors. They took us into a little grey room with chairs and a rack for clothes. They gave us little lab coats and shoes to wear. We followed a doctor into another room. It looked like where they kept the babies when they were born. We walked through it and then we walked into a hallway next to it.

"Okay... please don't be loud when we go in." He said, "We have two nurses trying to keep her as calm as possible." We both nodded. He showed us into a little room. Lyric was laying in a crib with a machine breathing for her. I saw Alex's eyes start to tear up. He broke down.

"Please Alex, please, please, please, don't cry." I said holding his hand. He shook his head. It was making me cry. It was silent in the room. Just the sound of Lyric's machine.