Chapter Seventeen: Limits

August 6th: 5 months into pregnancy.

-----

I woke up feeling awful, almost as every morning was. I was craving everything and I couldn't stop eating. I was gaining 2 pounds a week and I was huge. I couldn't walk or hardly move. Alex had to do everything for me. He was off work and we had no money. I moaned and rolled around in bed. I looked at my clock and it said 3:07am. Alex had his arms wrapped around my waist and his head in my chest. I put a pillow over my head. Any noise would wake me up. I slept about two or three hours a night. Alex normally would put me back to sleep, as if I was a baby, but I kept waking him up and it made me feel bad. He woke up because I was sweating to death. "Baby, please sleep." He said pushing my hair back.

"I can't." I said, "I'm not tired."

"Considering you woke me up with your sweaty self, I'm awake." Alex said kissing my cheek.

"Sorry, I'm gross." I laughed.

"Your cute." Alex said laying his face into a pillow. "Do you wanna go drive around?"

"Please." I said sitting up.

---------------

Alex and I quietly walked to his car. I sat in his car and waited for him to go to the bathroom. "God, that was the longest piss, in the history of piss." Alex said getting in his car. I started  laughing at him.

"Where are we going?" I asked Alex.

"I'll show you." He said. We drove for a half hour and he parked in a field on the mountain looking over Baltimore. "I used to bring Lisa here." He told me. "I escape here too."

"What do you mean escape?" I asked him.

"From life." He said. He was getting deep.

"Eh, cool?" I said. He grabbed my hand.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Alex said.

"Yeah." I said in amazement. "I never knew this was here."

"Its off, and out of the way." He looked at the clock in his car. "What time does your dad get up?"

"Five." I said.

"Its 4:15. Wanna head back just incase?" Alex asked.

"Yeah." I said. We started going toward my house, I hurried up and unlocked my door. We walked into my house and sat on the couch. My dad was in the kitchen and he saw us. He didn't say anything. I just sat on the couch and leaned on Alex. He was rubbing my stomach. I grabbed the remote and turned on the TV.  I just let whatever was on continue to play.

"Baby.." Alex mumbled.

"What?" I said looking up at him.

"I know you can do way better than me. I know it." Alex said.

"I don't want better, Alex. I want you." I put my face in his side and fell asleep.

-------

It was around 11:00am when I woke up alone on the couch. I saw Alex's phone laying on the coffee table. I heard noise from behind me in the kitchen. Alex was talking to my mom and May.

"So did Joe just leave Jack?" May asked my mom.

"May, honestly I don't know." My mom sighed, "I don't know."

"I hope he didn't." Alex added, "I know he needs someone older than him in his life. To talk to."

"And you know he's not going to talk to dad."  May said. "I remember how much Joe loved Jack when Jack was little. He cherished him." May said, it sounded like her voice was breaking. I sat up. Alex ran over to me and kissed my cheek.