Chapter 9

Laila's POV

Matt and I had gone down to the beach, but it was to crowded. Fans were everywhere and security wasn't able to protect us. There were also a whole lot of people just at the beach because the school county in this area had the day off. You almost couldn't see the water because there were so many families swimming.

We ended up going to the pool, that was blocked off, so it was just me and Matt. He started to run, pulled his shirt off and immediately jumped into the pool.

I went over to a chair and started putting sunscreen on my legs. I didn't want to swim, for several reasons.

"C'mon, babe! Jump in!" Matt yelled.

I was fully dressed with my bathing suit under my clothes.

"No." I said.

Matt got out of the pool. He walked over.

"What's wrong? Are you okay? Anything you need? Wanna go back up?" He asked.

"Yeah, I guess it's just that there are some things I guess I'm not ready for you to know." I replied shyly.

"Come on. You can trust me." Matt said, holding onto my hand.

"It's not that I don't trust you... it's- it's just I've gotten so close to you and I don't want to ruin it." I said.

"Babe, you know I'm here for you, right?" Matt asked.

"Yeah. Just promise you won't leave." I said, sighing.

"Of course! I'll be here for you through thick and thin! Nothing could EVER make me want to leave you, Laila Fender." He said, with a sincere look on his face.

He looked up and smiled. It was the type of smile that just seemed to make the sun brighter, and the world a happier place.

I smiled back, and felt my face go red.

"Pinky promise." I said, laughing.

"My pinky promises." He said, sticking his pinky finger out.

He stood up and brought me up with him, holding my hands. He jumped up and down like a little girl.

"Now will you ple-ee-ee-ee-aasseee go in the pool with me?!?!?" He groaned with a little pouty face on.

"Fine... but you promised." I said.

"Yeah, I did." He said impatiently.

I slowly unzipped my cover up jacket and pulled off the sleeves slowly with my hands shaking. The sleeves came off, and the scars showed.

Matt looked down surprised.

_________

Matts POV

_________

"Baby... baby! I'm- I'm sorry... I-I didn't know. Do you wanna... go up and t-talk about it." I stuttered. My throat was as dry as sand paper.

I didn't know what to say.

She looked down in disappointment and sighed.

"Sure, Matt." I held her hand and walked her up to the room.

I opened the hotel room door, and Jack Gilinsky wasn't in there, so we sat down on the couch.

"When did... it... start?" I asked.

"Ten months ago. I was being bullied for my taste in music and for being overweight. I only cut a few times... it was more of skipping meals than physically harming..." I grasped onto Laila's hands.

How could she have been overweight? She was skinny to the bone. That's when it hit me.

"Sweetie! How long did you skip meals?" I asked.

"I started just eating lunch. A sandwich and some water. But nothing changed. Every time I ate or worked out, I stepped on the scale and looked in the mirror." She began lightly crying."if I didn't like what I saw, it got worse." She said. "I've stopped. I stopped about 3 months in. The scars haven't healed. It's just hard to like what I see."

"Well it's good that you stopped, Laila. But, your beautiful. And if you can't see anything beautiful, get a better mirror. Look a little closer. Stare a little longer. Because there's something inside you that made you keep trying, despite of when everyone told you to quit. You built a cast around your broken heart, and signed it yourself. You signed it 'they were wrong'."

"Matt... that's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard." Laila said through the tears.

"I love you, Laila." I said, pulling her in.

"I love you too, Matt." She said.

I pulled her in for a kiss. Her lips touched mine and I felt sparks.

Suddenly, the door swung open and a drunken Jack walked in.

"Am I to late for the part...y?" He asked, stumbling around.

I didn't take my eyes off Laila.

"No, Jack. Just in time." I said.

Laila smiled.