Chapter 31

Kylie's POV

The past two hours had been filled with tears and anxiousness. Laila was done with her stitches, but the doctors were just waiting for the medication to ware off. They said if would be a couple more minutes. Matt had finally composed himself and sat by me to talk.

"Is this the first time she's tried to do something like this?" He asked me, staring down at his reflection through the freshly polished tile.

"What? Cut?"

"No. Commit suicide."

"Second time, actually." I said, gulping.

"What happened? The first time, I mean. Was it like this?" Matt asked curiously.

"You shouldn't let curiosity get the best of you, Matthew." I said, avoiding the question.

"I know. I'm sorry. But I really want to know all I can so I know. I want a serious relationship with her." Matt said genuinely.

"Okay." I sighed. "No, it wasn't like this. It was a Wednesday, I believe. That day, her little group of bullies that picked on her locked her in the janitors closet. They yelled terrible things at her. They called her names and taunted her. Horrible things. They broke her. Thy left her in there until the janitor had unlocked it to get a mop or something. She ran home. That day we also had a homework assignment that we had to partner up with someone for. I was working with Laila. I walked up to her room and couldn't find her. I walked farther into the room and couldn't find her, but I heard something outside. Laila's house is three stories high and her room is on the third floor. I looked out the window, and Laila was standing there, on the ledge of the roof looking down and crying. I had to talk her out of it for an hour. She made me swear I wouldn't tell anyone, and I didn't. I couldn't. So that's the story." I finished.

"Oh..." That's all Matt could get out.

A doctor burst out the door.

"Is any of Laila's family here?" The doctor asked.

"No." I told her.

"Okay who's closest to her?" The woman asked.

All the boys looked at me.

"Me, I guess."

"Okay. Walk with me."

The doctor walked me down a hallway to an office looking space. Laila was there sitting on a stool.

"Okay. So I know that you inflicted this unto yourself, am I correct, Laila?"

Laila nodded, embarrassed.

"We've already tested Laila and asked her questions and she scored a 55. Not in the 55th percentile, but that's just a score. She has severe depression. That's not good. That's almost as high as it gets. I'm going to start her out with a prescription to an SSRI, which will be Zoloft. She'll take a pill when she wakes up, at 2 PM, and before she goes to bed. We'll keep her on that for a month, at least. After that, we'll have another checkup. From there, we'll either cut the prescription, continue it, or move her to another medication. Also, therapy. We'll give you the dates and times via email. All costs on us." She explained to me.

She handed me the container of Zoloft and handed me the instructions.

She turned to Laila.

"So, remember the instructions." She said.

"yeah." Laila said, obviously wanting to leave.

"Okay. Have a nice day." The nurse dismissed us.

I hopped into the drivers seat, Laila in the passengers side.

She turned to the window.

"Look, we can't pretend this didn't happen." I said, breaking the silence.