Episode 10

Joe and Demi both listened to the teacher as they begun the lesson setting a task for them to do. But soon enough they would just be revising for their exams. It was a scary time, leaving school and moving on but Demi was looking forward to it. She hoped she could graduate with good grades despite what has happened to her in the past.

"Josh with the counselor?" Demi inquired and Joe nodded his head gently.

"He has weekly appointments with her and he can go if he's struggling. It's not a place which I think will help me so I don't go." Joe admitted to her but still focusing on his work Demi doing the same but she had always been good at doing two things at once.

"Honestly? When I went I didn't think it helped me either, that's why I don't go anymore." Demi stated and Joe looked over at her.

"Your bullying got that bad?" Demi hesitated but nodded her head gently.

"It was the lies more than anything, I was diagnosed with depression and advised to see someone but it doesn't help. The medication I'm on helps more than talking to anyone." Demi spoke in a quiet voice. She didn't want anyone else to know about her life but there was something about Joe that welcomed her to talk to him. She thought he same about Josh, they were both just good listeners and she hoped she was when they talked to her. It felt like she had known all four of them for much longer.

"I'm sorry you've been through shit. Some people seem to go through more than others," Joe stated and Demi nodded her head in agreement, she felt like she had been through a lot but the more she learnt about Joe and Josh. It seemed like they had been through even more than her. "We lost our dad a few months back too." Demi sighed.

"I'm sorry." Joe shook his head gently.

"I-It's okay," Joe stammered. "He lost the battle to cancer and mom couldn't take anymore so ended her own life, I came home from school early because I was ill and I found her body." Demi leaned over grabbing hold of his hand squeezing it gently.

"Go outside if you need to." Joe shook his head holding back his tears.

"I'm okay, I need to start moving forward. It was just hard seeing her like that. I've been angry at her for being so selfish and leaving her two young sons behind but at the same time I just miss her and wish she was back here." Joe breathed.

"You'll be feeling a mix of emotions for a while but you'll get through it, you have a great brother and friends. They'll help you get through this just like you'll help Josh get through it too."

"I don't feel like I'm doing a good job at the moment, he just seems to take it in a different way to me. Mom always teased me that I was the sensitive one." Joe chuckled slightly at the memory.

"He'll get through it in a different way. He may not seem as upset as you but he'll be coping in his own way." Joe nodded his head gently taking his hand back before he would blush and embarrass himself and they both continued working again.

"Thank you for listening." Joe breathed and Demi cracked a small smile. They all looked towards the door when it opened a staff member coming inside talking to the teacher.

"Joe can you go with Mrs. Jones, take your stuff with you." Joe hesitated but nodded his head gently collecting all his stuff today. He said a goodbye to Demi as he left with Mrs. Jones. Demi sighed hoping she made the right choice.

Demi was soon stood at the lockers with Willa and Emily. Neither of them had seen Joe or Josh all morning since Joe was taken out of their first class. Demi desperately wanted to tell Willa and Emily about what had happened but she still wasn't sure that Joe and Josh would like her after what she had done. She had to do it though, she felt like she needed to tell anyone.

"I haven't even gotten a text from Josh." Willa mumbled checking her phone.

"Maybe they just want some time alone together?" Emily suggested.

"Maybe but I thought Josh would have still text me." Willa stated putting her phone in her pocket and they all looked up when they saw someone approach them.

"You told the school?!" Joe exclaimed looking at Demi and she sighed.

"Yes I did because I was worried that you two were living alone by yourself." Demi spoke honestly.

"It's none of your business what we're doing, we were fine until you butted it." Joe stressed.

"Joe..." Emily spoke but he cut her off.

"No, just leave us alone." Joe snapped before storming away from them all Demi watching as he did.

"He did mean it Demi." Willa tried to reassure her but Demi didn't feel any better. The words he said hurt her more than what she ever imagined it would.