38: The Truth

Madilyn's POV

Oh.

Shawn just... said that he's in love with me. I don't know if he's being serious, or completely joking but he looks dead serious. He kind of just blurted it out, his eyes widening after he says it but he doesn't take the words back. When I don't say anything, he continues to speak in a quick pace.

"I'm sorry, I just.. I'm in love with you. That seems so crazy, I know.. But Madilyn, I'm so in love with you and I've only known you for about two months. I think two months was enough time for me to figure out that I loved you--"

"Stop, stop, stop," I say quickly, waving my hands in front of him so he would stop talking. "Shawn, slow down.. I can't talk about this right now." I stand up and start to walk away, but he comes right after me.

"What? Oh my god, that was too soon.. I'm such an idiot."

"No, you're not.. I just need to go home." I bite my lip as I grab my bag, I try not to look at him because I know the look on his face. I've seen it plenty of times and it's always my fault.

"Are you going to break up with me?" he asks sadly as I set my hand on the doorknob. My heart drops and I slowly drop my bag to the floor, turning to look at him. He looks like he could start crying any second, but I know he won't. I walk over to him, grabbing his face with both hands and make him look at me.

"Of course not.." I whisper, giving him a soft kiss on the lips. It was just a short kiss, my lips lingering over his for a few seconds before I pulled away. He kept his eyes closed, resting his forehead against mine.

"I really do love you, Madilyn." he says in a quiet voice, and I don't respond at first.

"Okay." I whisper finally, pulling away from him.

"Okay? That's all you're going to say? Okay?!" He stands in front of me, not exactly yelling at me but you know, kind of shocked.

"Um.. thank you?" I say, and it comes out more of a question rather than a statement.

"Are you kidding me..."

"What do you want me to say, Shawn?" I ask, getting kind of annoyed. "We've only been dating for about two weeks.."

"So what you're saying is you don't love me?" He asks, his voice kind of cracking at the end as he turns his head away from me.

"Shawn, that isn't.." I let out a frustrated sigh, "that wasn't what I was saying. I just don't think I'm ready to say those words yet."

"Oh.. okay..." he whispers not making eye contact with me. I sigh, bending down to grab my bag again. Standing on my tippy toes, I lean up to press a kiss to his cheek before I turn, walking out of his room. I realize that I don't have a ride, and at first I almost call Nash, but I would rather talk to someone else right now.. my best friend, Matthew.

I walk to the end of the street so I'm not just awkwardly standing in front of Shawn's house, and I take a seat on the bench.

"Hello?" Matt answers around the fifth ring.

"Hey."

"Hey Madilyn. What's up?"

"Can you come pick me up? It's important.." I ask him.

"Yeah, of course. Is everything okay?" he asks me, and I can already hear him moving around.

"I'll tell you everything when you get here. I'm at the end of Shawn's street sitting on the blue bench."

"Okay, I'll be right there."

Matt's POV

I tell my mom where I'm going before I get in the car and drive to pick Madilyn up.. She didn't tell me what, but I know that something happened between her and Shawn.

I pull up to the side of the road when I see Madilyn sitting on the bench, just messing around on her phone like usual. She looks up and sees me, standing up and getting in my car. "Hey," I say when she gets in.

"Hey.." she sighs. "Thanks for picking me up."

"Yeah no problem. Do you want me to take you home or do you want to go to my house?" I ask her, secretly hoping she would want to come hangout with me at my place.

She looks at me, seeming to think about it for a moment before she says, "Can I go to your house?" and I nod, driving her back to my house.

~

"So tell me what happened." I say to Madilyn as we walk outside to my backyard.

She let out a breath before beginning, like she usually does when she tells me what's wrong. "So.. Shawn told me that he loved me," she starts and my breath immediately hitches. "Wait no, he told me he was in love with me."

"So what's the problem?" I ask, even though I'm not interested anymore. She probably loves him back, and that just makes my chance with her much, much smaller. Sometimes it hits me that I'll never be with her, and it hurts.. A lot.

"I don't think I love him back. Not yet, anyway." she whispers the last part so quietly, I don't think I heard her correctly. I'm surprised at first. When I thought that they wouldn't last very long, I meant it. Her being with him just made me realize that...

I love her.

.

HIIIIII SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING REALLY SOON BUT I'LL UPDATE TOMORROW IF THIS CHAPTER GETS 50 COMMENTS OK if it doesn't i'll probably update tomorrow anyway but you know I just want 50 comments oh