Chapter Six

Skyler's POV

Ilima was waiting for me when I got there. "Greetings. Captain Ilima here. And my trial...begins mere steps from here in Verdant Cavern! Note that the Pokémon living within Verdant Cavern are quite fierce. I wouldn't venture in unless you've prepared some Potions and so forth. Through attempting the trials during the island challenge, one can exceed his or her own limits. ...That is what the Alolan people believe. Once you enter Verdant Cavern, you will not be able to leave until you have completed the trial. Are you prepared for the trial?" I nodded. "I'll be waiting for you!" he called as I entered the cave.

I put my hood on, and saw a kind of scuffling in the dirt. I walked over, and a pokemon leaped out at me. Alolan Rattata! My Litten ran ahead of me to face it. "Okay, Blaze, use Ember!" The blast of fire hit directly, and caused a burn. I smiled. "Great job! Finish it off with another Ember!" Before Blaze could attack, the little Pokemon attacked. But Blaze still threw another Ember at it, and I watched it faint.

Another dust cloud caught my attention. "Meowth, go investigate!" I said. As I thought, another Rattata. "Use Fury Swipes!" Meowth rapidly slashed its long claws against the Rattata. The Rattata use Tackle, and Meowth took it directly, though not much damage was taken. "Attack once more, with Fury Swipes!" It fainted, and I continued.

I took a look around. There seemed to be three dens. So where is the third Rattata? I then saw another scuffling. It went into a den, and came out in another. "How do I catch this thing?" I murmured to myself. "Oh! I should predict which one it will be in!"

--Time skip to finding the Totem 'cause I'm bored XD--

I saw a sparkling crystal on a pedestal. I reached out to touch it, but before I could grab it, something huge and dark jumped out. I screamed. "Zzrt!" Rotom buzzed. "It's the Totem Pokemon!" I calmed myself and released Blaze. He was feeling great after some potions. "Use Ember!" I took advantage of the Totem's low speed, and attacked first. The giant Raticate growled angrily, and used Bite. Luckily, Blaze didn't flinch, and I commanded him to use another Ember. One more hit should do it, I thought. Then the Raticate let out a loud cry, and a Rattata scrambled over to help it. "Great! Just great!" I said under my breath. Sighing, I spoke. "Blaze, Ember on the Totem!" The giant pokemon fainted, and I then commanded Blaze to finish off the Rattata.

The Rattata fainted, and as I was walking back over to the pedestal to retrieve the crystal, I saw Blaze glowing within a blue light. "Could it be?" I murmured. Sure enough, Blaze emerged as a Torracat. It growled happily, and I ran over to it. It purred as I pet it's head. I then walked over to grab the crystal. It felt nice in my hand. I ran outside, and Ilima welcomed me."Great job! What you have just received is the Normal Z-Crystal! It is known as Normalium Z! Now if you let a Pokémon that can use a Normal-type move hold that...and strike an elegant pose like this one... then you will be able to strengthen a Normal-type move by unleashing Z-Power! Moving right along...I have something interesting I'd like to show you. Come with me to Route 3."