Chapter Nine

Skyler's POV

I smiled as Lillie left, then crawled back into my fort. I began to wonder how Gladion kept finding me at the worst moments. Maybe he is a stalker...hmm. I sighed and played the music without singing. I hummed to my own edgy tune, and then realized I was hungry.

I crept into the kitchen and grabbed the plate of food my mother left on the table for me, and hurried back into my room before she could catch me. I was lying on my bed, eating the delicious meal, when my phone buzzed.

I answered. "Hello?" I asked. It was Hau. "Oh my God, Skyler! Lillie told me your birthday is in two days! Why didn't you tell anyone!?" I sighed, and decided not to even bother with Hau. "Well now you know. Bye!" And I hung up.

I continued eating, feeling annoyed. "My birthday is not a huge deal..."I muttered. Nyx crawled in beside me, and I could tell he wanted some of my food. I smiled, and handed him a piece of chicken. He scarfed it down, and I decided it was my Pokemon's lunch time too. I filled three bowls with pokebeans, and watched them eat.

I had dumped all four dishes in the sink, and was heading outside. I smelled the fresh air and decided to go find some more Pokemon. If Kahuna Hala uses Fighting-types, Nyx will be good, and maybe I'll look for a Pikipek on Route 1.

I was walking through the tall grass carefully, and a Pikipek then hopped out. I threw Meowth out. "Meowth, use Bite!" I called. Meowth then bit and held onto one of it's wings, preventing it from flying away, and doing damage at the same time. "Good," I said to myself. I threw a pokeball at it, and watched.

One..

Two..

Three...

Click!

Meowth flicked it's whiskers again, and I laughed. "Good job, buddy." I looked at the pokeball in my hand. "Now we need to level this girl up."

--Time skip to when leveled up to 13--

I grinned and ran to Iki Town. With a smile, I stood in front of Kahuna Hala. "Hi! I've completed my first trial!" I said, out of breath. "Congratulations on clearing your trial in the Verdant Cavern. Good work. I suppose you are here to battle the kahuna? You think you and Nyx are ready for me, Skyler?" I suppose determination must have been shining from my eyes at this point, and I nodded. "Definitely!" Hala smiled. "I have been waiting for this!"

And the battle began. He first sent out a Mankey. I sent out Nyx. The little psychic cat had a type advantage and was a higher level. "Now, Nyx, use Psychic!" It was super effective, taking it down in one hit.His next pokemon was a Makuhita. I told Nyx to use Zen Headbutt, but the Makuhita still had a little bit of health left. It used Arm Thrust, which barely did a thing, and Nyx finished it off with another Zen Headbutt. His last Pokemon was a Crabrawler. I used Zen Headbutt again, and Crabrawler also withstood that. It used Pursuit, which was super effective, and Nyx lost a third of it's health. "Finish it off with Psychic!" I watched, satisfied, as it fainted.

"...Hmmph! The results come as no surprise to me. What a fine Trainer...and what fine Pokémon, too!" I smiled at that. "Accept this Z-Crystal! It allows Trainers to share their power with their partner Pokémon! Observe, Skyler. If you wish to use the Fighting-type Z-Power, move your arm like this... then bend your hips like this and pose!" I copied him, following the punching movement. "Now then, Skyler! With this victory... you have cleared all of the trials of Melemele Island, the first of Alola's islands! The Melemele stamp is proof of your accomplishments. With it, Pokémon up to Lv. 35, even those you received in a trade, will obey you!" I nodded. "Thank yo-" But before I could finish, a Tauros ran over. "Whoa there, Tauros!" Hala said. "I've got an idea! How about I set you up so you can ride my Tauros whenever you'd like? No reason why he shouldn't get to enjoy the island challenge, too! I'll take care of all the little things you'll need in order to ride a Pokémon, Skyler!"

He had handed me a little object, like a rectangle, but with rounded corners. "Why don't you hop on there? "The world looks a bit different from atop a mighty Tauros, eh? I grinned. It definitely did! "See, Skyler. Here in Alola our Pokémon lend us their strength and let us ride about on them! Let me explain the item I gave you... Your Ride Pager is a tool that lets you summon a Ride Pokémon." I pet Tauros while he was speaking, still smiling happily. "Have a little romp around Alola with Tauros here. I'm sure you'll be charmed by him! When you use your Ride Pager, Ride Pokémon will kindly come running to help you wherever you may be! All right, Skyler. With a little help from Tauros, you can smash right through those big rocks on Route 1!" I nodded, and directed Tauros to my house. It was quite the bumpy ride, but I didn't mind much.

I was laughing as I enter my house. Tauros had went home after I got off him, and Nyx was running around in circles at my feet. My mom was waiting for me. "It looks like you had fun, huh?" she asked. I nodded. "Why don't you relax, and I'll make dinner?" I nodded again, and collapsed as best I could on my bed, without falling on Nyx. "I beat the Grand Trial...To Akala Island tomorrow!"