Chapter 4.

I frantically looked up at the clock again.
Oh God, I was going to be late!
Why was there so much to do, today of all days.

I looked about me to see the piles and piles of washing up still left to do. Then in came Jose with yet another armful and looking at the exasperated expression on my face, he said, rather sadly:

"I so sorry Gwen, I do not know where they all come from". 

I sighed and plunged my hands once more, deeply into the hot, soapy water and continued to wash some more dirty plates, cups, and cutlery as the dishwasher whirled noisily beside me.

Jose Ferrero,  the owner of  Jose Tapas Bar, where I worked as chief washer upper, popped his head around the door and announced to everyone that another 10 had just walked in.
There was a loud groan from the kitchen staff, but the loudest must had been from me.
My shift was due to have finished 15 minutes ago, but when it's busy such as today, I was expected to stay longer  until most of the washing up had finished.

I took in a deep breath and resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be incredibly late. This would most likely mean that I would now lose my part in the play, because after all, this was a very important day for all of us at The Royal Rose Theatre Company.

An hour later, I was taking off my soaking wet apron and hauling my backpack onto my shoulders.

Jose looked at me, concern in his dark, brown eyes.

"Will you be in trouble now?".   He asked.

"Probably"  I answered, with a tired sigh. 

Jose looked down and I immediately felt guilty.

" But, hey, I need this job and if we weren't busy you wouldn't need me, so.............well I'm glad I'm late. At least I know I still have a job tomorrow".   I smiled at the little, stout man in front of me.

Jose looked up and met my eyes.

"My dear Gwen, always sees the best of bad situation. You are remarkable lady".    He grinned.

I smiled back at him.
I found his broken English most endearing and I had to admit that I was really quite fond of him.

"Look..........you better go or you be in.........how you say?...........bad books".    He went on.

"I know, l know".    I answered, making for the door,  "I'll see you tomorrow".   

"I hope it goes so well for you.............little lady".   
Jose called out to me, as I made my exit.

I slammed shut the door leading out from the back of the restaurant, ran down a small flight of stairs, around the corner and then out onto the street.
The bright sunlight blinded me for a second, as it hit my eyes and halted my progress for a moment. Then I looked around me.
I was now on Trafalgar square, in the very heart of London, and it was extremely busy. It did look glorious however, and I loved living and working in this vibrant, exciting Capital city of ours.
Looking about I could see street entertainer's ranging from magician's to the relatively new skills of the living statues . Musicians of all kinds, from a man playing a yukalaly to a full blown pop band  and artist's using their skill to paint the flagstones beneath your feet. Puppet shows were entertaining hoards of young children and ice cream stalls were dotted all around the place as well as little push along carts selling popcorn, where the smell was devine.

Oh how perfect this scene was before me and I simply wished that I could stay and soak up this wonderful atmosphere and take part in all that was going on, instead of having to face the wrath of Hugo Martinez, Theatre manager.