Chapter 17.

We were now back on the road again, after I had finished my Danish Pastry of course and my cup of tea. I did feel very embarrassed though about the fact that Alan had noticed me looking at him rather a lot and so I had remained quiet for most of the journey.
Alan too was also very quiet and seemed to be concentrating more on his driving now that we had moved from off the motorway and onto much smaller, narrower roads.

I turned to look out of the window beside me and noticed that the countryside was becoming increasingly more familiar to me as we crossed from Worcestershire to Shropshire with its rolling meadows and beautiful hills that seemed to stretch for miles and miles.
I breathed in a satisfying breath and instantly began to feel so much calmer. It was funny how seeing the green colours of the country relaxed my disposition.

" How much further is it to your parents house?".

A low, deep voice suddenly asked from beside me.

I looked over at the man in the drivers seat and smiled at him.

"It's only about 10 miles". I said.

He nodded his head in answer, and I suddenly started to feel very guilty about the amount of driving he had done. I mean, he can't be that used to driving long distances not with him being a film star and all that, regardless of how luxurious and comfortable the car undoubtedly was!

Alan then took in a long inward breath, the sort he does when he's about to say something profound.
But what he asked me, was totally surprising.

"Tell me Gwen...........do you have someone special in your life?".

I gasped at this sudden question, that seemed to have come out of know where, and felt myself blush.
For the majority of the drive, certainly since leaving the Service Station, we had remained silent, now suddenly he was asking this most personal of questions right out of the blue!

To be honest, I wondered what it had to do with him for we hadn't exactly been talking about personal stuff even when we were in conversion with one another.
I mean, I knew absolutely nothing personal about him at all.

"Is there someone you are especially looking forward to seeing, apart from your parents, that is". He continued to ask.

I swallowed hard.
How did he know?
Had I somehow given away my secret to him?

"Um..........". I said hesitantly.

Alan began to laugh.

"Do not worry yourself if you would rather not tell me. I was only being curious, that was all".

I looked down at my twisted fingers on my lap.

"There is someone really special". I said quietly.

I looked up to see that Alan's expression remained unaltered.

"And I am very much looking forward to seeing him. It's been far too long". I said, still looking over at Alan for a reaction.
There was none.

Instead he reached a hand up to his mouth and looked thoughtful for a second. It was as if he was pondering on what to say next. I wasn't about to elaborate on what I had just said. I didn't think it was any of his business really.

Alan then cleared his throat.

"Well you were certainly correct in what you told me about it here. It is very beautiful".

I smiled at him and then saw him glance quickly at me and smile back.
The awkwardness between us had now passed.

" My parents will be very excited to meet you". I suddenly blurted out.