Chapter 29.

It had been a somewhat strange journey up to Shropshire without any of the excitement that I had felt during my last visit.
For the most part, Ashcroft and I had travelled in complete silence. In fact, we hardly spoke at all, which was strange because usually we had plenty to say to one another.
Instead I would be looking out of the side window watching the scenery quickly speed by, as it changed from the grey buildings of the city to the green of the countryside.
Ashcroft, however seemed perfectly happy amusing himself by singing along to the tuneless pretentious crap that he had playing on a c.d.
I had begun to realise that we had a totally different idea in what constituted good listening material.

We did have one stop though, to refuel both ourselves and the car, where I did offer Ashcroft some petrol money, (something that I had quite forgotten about when Alan had taken me!).

The service station also, was not the one that I had previously stopped at with Alan and that saddened me especially when Ashcroft insisted on having a McDonald's. He did seem pretty disappointed with me as well when all I wanted was a strawberry milkshake.
He, however, tucked into a double cheeseburger with fries, followed by a huge mcflurry and then a milkshake. Considering he's a qualified chef, it surprised me somewhat that he would even consider eating such junk food, never mind devour it all with such enthusiasm!
Well, he did say in the trailer before that he was hungry!
He certainly wasn't joking!

By the time we got to Shropshire, however it was dark. Of course we hadn't set off particularly early and had also spent quite a bit of time at the service station too. So little wonder the daylight had disappeared as Ashcroft pulled his car to a halt outside my parents house.
He got out immediately and gave a big stretch before giving his surroundings the once over.

"Ah......the countryside".   He announced, breathing in.

I was also now out of the car and abscent mindedly looked over towards the rear seats for an overnight bag only to then remember that I hadn't actually got one!
I scolded myself with annoyance that I hadn't insisted that Ashcroft drop me off at the flat first so that I could gather a few bits and pieces together and of course, let Marcus also know what I was doing!
Poor Marcus. He had been totally left in the dark about all of this! If he knew though, that I was with Ashcroft, he would probably try and stop me from going,  as was his hatred for him.
I glanced over at the good looking specimen before me and was relieved to notice that none of my old feelings for him had resurfaced at all.
I was pleased.
Marcus would have nothing at all to worry about!
To me now, Ashcroft Jennings was just an old friend who had come to the rescue of another old friend.
Ashcroft had never seen me as anything more than that anyway.
All the feelings that I had harboured for him in the past had been inside the head of a nieve young girl. He had nothing to do with the way I had once felt about him. I suppose he thought of me as a brother would feel for his sister.
It had been pure infatuation on my part and absolutely none on his.

"Did you live here once?".  He now asked turning to face me.

" Yes".  I nodded, with a smile.  "This is my family home. I lived here with my Mum, Dad and younger sister". 

I looked up at the darkened Windows.

" But it would seem that they are all out at the moment " I added, as I now began to walk up towards the small narrow pathway that led up to the house.

Hearing the crunching of the stones behind me, I knew that Ashcroft was following as I now walked towards the patio area. Dad had told me that a key would be left in the usual hiding place outside, so I narrowed my eyes to look for the familiar yellow and red hand painted plant pot.
As I scanned my eyes along the vast array of similar looking pots, the young girl in me tried not to let Ashcroft see what I was looking for. It was a strange thing really for it had been drummed into our heads as children that no one should know where the key was hidden. It had always remained our family secret. Even now, as an adult and Ashcroft being one of my most trusted friends, I was at pains not to let him see!