Chapter 38.

Vivien Scot was not a person.
I realised that as soon as the vehicle pulled up outside a rather posh looking building just half an hours car ride from the studio.
Vivien Scot was a building. A rather large building in fact, where it would seem, that actors and such like would hang out together after a long, arduous day of filming. It was not the sort of place where I would usually ever go to, so I was interested to know what it was all about.

The banter throughout the journey was very good humoured and light and although I personally didn't say very much, just listening to everyone else chatting away was just so lovely.
Every now and again Ruben would ask if I was ok and that my poorly arm was not being hurt by the squeeze of everyone being cramped up inside the vehicle.
I insisted that I was quite alright and had smiled warmly at him. To be truthful I did rather enjoy the way he was showing me so much concern.

Once inside the huge building, I immediately became truly amazed.  It was somehow like stepping into a lovely old Georgian styled house with beautiful authentic furniture and decor. I had been half expecting it to be some sort of a night club or something like that and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't.
It was already busy with all sorts of people chatting and drinking together.  Pleasant music was being played in the background that could only just about be heard above the gabble of different voices and the occasional bursts of laughter.
I looked around in wonderment at my surroundings and smiled to myself. These film folk certainly knew where best to entertain themselves. This was nothing at all like The Lord Moon of the Mall, the venue frequented most often when I had worked in the theatre. That's not to say that I never liked going there, for I did. It was after all, the place to be. But being here, well this was something completely different and I loved it.

I was too busy taking it all in that I hadn't realised that we were now joined by well renowned film actress Patricia Mae.
She had descended upon Ruben and I almost before we had fully entered this rather nice room with its sofa's and ornate furnishings.

"Ah..... Gwen darling, so lovely to see you here". She said and proceeded to plant the very lightest of kisses upon both of my cheeks.

I was a bit taken a back. I mean after all, I had only seen her just over half an hour ago!

"Ruben, darling".    She said, now looking over at my escort with obvious delight, whilst gently holding onto his arm with long manacured fingers.    " Do make sure you take good care of this young girl now won't you. She's the absolute find of the year".  Patricia went on.

I felt myself blush as I saw Ruben smile at her.

" I most definitely will".  He answered, then turned to smile at me.

I noticed Patricia looking at both of us each in turn, then slowly nod her head as if with approval or something.
I frowned at her, unable to suss out what she was really thinking, although I think I could guess.

"Now then, I must go off and mingle, mingle, mingle".   She chirped excitedly, as she held up a tall glass of white wine whilst seemingly to sway.
"You two........ Make sure you go off and enjoy yourselves, won't you now".  She carried on as she wagged a warning finger at us both.

"We will".  Replied Ruben politely.

I watched as she then continued to swagger away from us. It did  seem to me that she was already drunk unless it was just the casual way in which she walked.

"Would you like a drink?". Ruben asked, suddenly.

I turned and nodded my head, then followed him to a small, yet reasonably stocked mini bar where tuxedo dressed waiters were on hand to pour the drinks. No money was exchanged.
Clutching a large glass of white wine each, Ruben and I then went over to speak to a group of young men that were stood in the centre of the room. I knew some of them by sight but Ruben was on hand to properly introduce me. It was fair to say that they were very nice and tried to include me in their conversation as much as they could but they were all technician's who found it hard to talk about anything other than lighting, contrast and camera angles.
And that was the bit I could understand!
I began to look around me.