Chapter 20.

Walking towards Jose's restaurant, I had now absolutely  made up my mind that I was going to tell my favourite little restauranteur of my decision to leave the happy, family run business and pursue my new film career.

 It was a decision that I had been putting off for quite some time now, as I very much enjoyed working there and I would miss all of them a great deal indeed. I knew that Jose himself would be made up for me, for he always said that one day I would be a star!

To be honest, I never really believed him and I was quite sure that he had only ever said it to keep my spirits up.  But Jose had always been there for me and had become such a good and supportive friend that I was going to miss him terribly. 

The truth was,  I knew for a fact that I was going to miss this kind and wonderful man a lot more than he was going to miss me!

I had also decided to let my good friend Maya in on my plans, for she had been another one who had always been most encouraging about my acting.
When I was having such a bad time with Beth and then with Alan, I was forever bending her ear about one thing or another, so I really wanted to let her in on my secret and be the first of my colleagues and friends to know.

So as I walked along, I fumbled in my handbag for my mobile phone, but was disheartened to see that as well as the battery on it being decidedly low, there was also very little credit left.

I would have to be quick in ringing Maya up before everything died on me. 

She answered me immediately and it was so great to hear her lovely, familiar voice again.

"Hello Maya? It's Gwen. Look, I can't really talk for long, my mobile is going to cut out very soon, so how are you fixed for lunch, I have some really exciting news for you, can we meet?"  I asked, almost shouting down the infernal object that kept beeping at me, because the battery was dying.

"Oh yes Gwen, wonderful. I'd love to come".   She answered.

"How about meeting at Jose's? , I'm just on my way there now to speak with him about something, so you can come over and we can lunch there if you'd like"   I suggested.

"Ah, Well you know how I don't like doing crowds anymore. I'd feel far too nervous going in on my own. Do you mind if we go somewhere else?"    She asked nervously.

I gave an inward sigh.

I just didn't understand Maya's sudden reluctance to do the most normal of things sometimes. She really needed to get over this strange aversion she had somehow got herself caught up in. She never used to be like this! 

"Ok then, where?"  I asked.

There was a slight pause.

"Can we go to St. James's Park?"   She answered.

I gave sigh, this  was miles away from Jose's. I'd have to get a taxi, or walk very briskly which was the last thing I wanted to do at this very moment. But I felt a real need to see her and she was someone that I defiantly wanted to confide with. She meant a lot to me and I had really missed her.

"OK very well then"  I said, with a sigh.

"Oh,  thank you Gwen and for being so very understanding, I cannot wait to hear your news".   She said,  "I'll meet you by the South entrance, on the bench. Will you bring some sandwiches and................................."

My phone suddenly went dead as the battery had now been exhausted and I looked at the object with the contempt it deserved. I then threw it in my handbag and was annoyed that I hadn't been able to arrange a specific time for us to meet.
Oh well,  I would just have to turn up at lunchtime and hope that she would be there.