Chapter 52.

I shuffled my bare feet nervously as Alan continued to stare down at me, his expression was curious and questioning and I wondered what on earth was going through his mind.
He then took in a very large, deep breath.

"Gwen, may I ask you something?". He frowned.

"Yes....... Um........ Fire away". I said, somewhat nervously.

This was actually it.
I felt sure that he was now going to suggest our next move and my stomach began to twist with a sudden rapid nervousness and a huge adrenaline rush raced swiftly throughout my body in a tidal wave of anticipation.
He was now about to confirm what Patricia Mae had suggested he'd do. That he had already gone ahead and booked us in at some posh hotel somewhere and using entirely her words, because he just wanted to shag me!

My stomach twisted again and my breathing, although somehow controlled now after my running around episode, was now beginning to take on a very different role, the role of suppressed panic and interpretation.
Alan was still looking at me, his expression continued to be  somewhat confused. Probably wondering to himself what my reaction was going to be at his possible suggestion about a hotel room. He then took in a breath and suddenly nodded his head towards my feet, before asking:

"Where the fuck are your shoes?".

My breath suddenly caught in my throat as I gave out a big gasp.

"What?". I said, and looked down quickly.

My feet!! Yes of course!! I had no shoes on and what with our very exciting and unscheduled getaway, it had completely slipped my mind that I had left them behind on the carpeted floor of the Odeon cinema!
I started to giggle out of embarrassment as well as foolishness at my inability to actually remember this very important piece of attire.

"I threw them at that security guy". I laughed, wriggling my toes and looking back up at him.

But Alan wasn't even smiling. He was stoney faced just staring at me.
So I gave a sigh.

"The one that was chasing after me". I carried on. "I was trying to stop him, or at least slow him down a bit. So I threw them at him".

"Were they very expensive?". Alan asked seriously.

I shrugged.

"A bit, I suppose".

"Were they of any sentimental value to you?". He then asked.

I began to laugh.

"No, not at all. They hurt my feet. That's why I was carrying them".

I saw him nod his head slightly, although he was still looking very serious. Gone suddenly was the carefree, unpredictable man that had just burst out through the fire exit of the cinema a few moments ago. He had somehow behaved so out of character then but now he had returned back to his somewhat staid, serious and very properly mannered very English gentlemen self.
I now stared hard at him and noticed that his features were lit up by the glow from the moonlight.
The only light that was available in this darkened alleyway.

I could see his rather big, romanesque shaped nose, the silver of his hair mixed in with the dark blonde. The line of his firm jaw and the outline of his lips. What I really couldn't see though were his eyes. The moonlight had failed in its attempt to allow me to see this very important feature of his and I was disappointed. I needed to see them, their colour, their expression and maybe even...................... their love.
I drew in a deep breath.

"My feet are ok now though". I shrugged, Looking back down at them. "I can walk alright............and run, of course".

I began to laugh at my own acknowledgement of the fact that we had only just stopped running. But still Alan remained serious.