Chapter 3: Parallels ✔

What war?

What war?

It was bothering me that I couldn't figure out what he meant by that. He should know about the war, right? Especially since it's been going on long before I was born. Unless he's really, really, sheltered.

Katara ran by the mouth of the igloo, so with nothing better to do, I left my bag in my bed and ran after her.

"Katara!" I yelled as I caught up. She didn't really slow down. "Where are you going?"

"To find Aang. I'm sure he can teach me something."

"Ok..." I replied.

If only I was a waterbender like her, maybe we could figure out something together.

We slid down a mound of snow and found Aang with a bunch of penguins on the other side.

Never had I seen someone try to tackle a penguin. First time for everything.

Once he noticed us, he smiled, "I have a way with animals."

The penguins were avoiding our area.

"Aang, I'll help you catch a penguin, if you teach me waterbending." Katara smiled at him.

"You got a deal!" Aang smiled back and airbent himself off the ground. "Just one little problem, I'm an airbender, not a waterbender. Isn't there someone in your tribe who can teach you?"

Katara looked down at the ground.

If only there was. I can't imagine the happiness it would bring her.

"No. You're looking at the only waterbender in the whole South Pole."

I had long since given up on coming up with ideas for her. Not even the oldest people in our tribe could teach us anything to do with waterbending. It just felt completely hopeless.

"... turn right at the second glacier. It's on the other side of the world."

"But you forget, I have a flying bison. Appa and I can personally fly you to the North Pole. Katara, we're gonna find you a master."

Hold on, now. I tuned out for one small second and now we're going to the North Pole?

"That's—I mean... I don't know. I've never left home before..." Katara actually seemed to be considering this.

Leave the South Pole? That seems way outside the realm of reality. I know, one hundred percent, I'm definitely dying here. No matter what I want.

"Well, you think about it," Aang shot me another smile, "In the meantime, can you teach me to catch one of these penguins?"

Catching penguins turned into penguin sledding, and I can honestly say that I've never had this much fun in my entire life. But I have been penguin sledding before, so something tells me it's more about Aang being fun.