Chapter 52: Recovery

How about Abella? Bellaang? Baang?

---

We left the oasis in silence and entered the icy air of the North Pole.

Iroh had seemed to disappear and Katara and Sokka went off in a different direction together. That just left Aang and I in our group.

I climbed the stairs of the palace and looked out over the North Pole. Most buildings were toppled over or smashed and the warriors and civilians were resting against walls. The Fire Nation ships had left and what remained of them was a couple fire bombs still smoking away.

"Bella!" I turned to the left to the sound of the call to see Aang running towards me. He was running slowly though, tiredly.

When he caught up to where I was standing he engulfed me in a hug, his face hit the burn though and I pulled away, wincing. He stood back apologetically.

"How did it happen?" He asked me after a couple seconds of silence.

"Zuko..." I mumbled.

If Aangs eyes could change color to an angry red, they would. "I shouldn't have saved-"

"No Aang don't say that," I cut him off.

He stopped talking but I could still see the anger in his eyes and the thoughts going through his head so I pulled him in close again and he relaxed. And I couldn't help but think that I couldn't wait until the burn went away so I could hug him tighter.

—TIMESKIP—

I saw Katara looking out over the balcony that towered over the city. People had begun to start rebuilding the city and Katara was studying them closely.

"Hey," I said and walked over to the railing and leaned against it.

"Hi," she replied.

"So...what happens now?" I asked her.

"Pakku is leaving the North Pole to help the South Pole." Katara said.

"And see Gran Gran." I smiled and she smiled back.

But if Pakku leaves then who is going to teach Aang waterbending? Has Katara thought of this?

"So then who is teaching Aang waterbending," I asked her.

"Me," She replied simply.

That's actually a great idea, then we can leave the North Pole and continue his training. Although I don't really want to leave, I mean I hate the cold and the food but I enjoyed the time I had to spend on my cliff.

"So when are we leaving," I asked her gazing at the sun. It was midday.

"Well I thought we could stay and help rebuild and then leave first thing tomorrow, they offered us a ride on their boats out of North Pole waters, their boats are faster then Appa swimming," Katara said.

"So we still have time before we leave?" I asked her, I hadn't listened much to anything else she said.

"Yes."

I left off the balcony before she could say anything else, I could still get to the top of the cliff one more time.

I ran through the palace, almost slipping on the icy floor. I ran past Aang and Sokka who didn't seem to question where I was running too.

I pushed open the palace doors and basically slid down the steps. I ran through the town, tripping a bit on the missing pieces of ice, I also ended up giving my coat to a child who was soaked in icy water.

I turned the corner of the side of the town that was pretty much abandoned and walked to the side of the wall that I have been using.

I took a second to catch my breath and then airbended hot air at the icy wall, not so much it melted and slid apart but also soft enough for me to stick my hands into.

I stuck my hands and feet into the wall and then repeated the process. It took me longer than usual but I still made it to the top and threw myself over the edge of the cliff onto the top.

I sat up and swung my legs over the edge and looked out over the city. Thank the spirits I am not afraid of being up high, there was a kid at the South Pole who was scared of being up high.

I found it exhilarating.

The city looked hurt. It definitely took a couple hits due to the recent events. But there were also many little dots, who I assume are people, helping other people. Buildings were being rebuilt and the city still didn't feel sad. It was still lively, and awake.

I stood up from the ledge and trudged through the snowy cliff. I took out the glider and shot off with it with no problem, I didn't need a running start anymore. I flew over the side of the cliff and then went straight down towards the water.

The wind blew my cheeks up and made my teeth freeze but I wouldn't trade the feeling for anything.

I pulled up at the last second and glided over the water, I stuck out my hand and dragged it through the water.

I saw little shrimp-fish swimming away from my hand in terror.