Chapter 108: The Battle Of Black Sun

"There are natural tunnels crisscrossing through the inside of the volcano," Toph said

"Anything else? Is there a structure somewhere?" Sokka asked her.

She dug her fists into the ground, "There's something big, dense, and made of metal deep in the heart of the volcano."

"Sounds like a secret bunker to me!" Sokka smiled.

Toph nodded and earthbent a tunnel into the ground.

She went right in and Sokka followed after her.

Aang turned to Appa and Momo, "Stay safe. We'll be back soon."

I dropped down into the tunnel and Aang came in behind me, closing it up and blocking out the rest of the light.

"This way! That one's a dead end," Toph began running down the tunnel on the right side and we followed after.

"What would we do without you!?" Sokka squealed.

"Perish and burn in hot magma," Toph said and turned another corner.

We all carefully inched past a particular close pool of lava, "Yeah, pretty much..." Sokka mumbled.

We ran into an open clearing of brown rock which looked innocent enough. Except that magma began shooting out of geysers at random intervals.

"The tunnel continues on the other side, and it leads right to the bunker," Toph stated.

Sokka nodded, "We'll have to be fast, but careful," Sokka took one step into the clearing and almost had his face blown off.

"How was that careful?" Aang cooled the lava.

"I was wrong, we need to be fast, careful, and lucky."

It didn't turn out to be that hard. Just avoid running over the geysers and watch when the ones near you are close to exploding. Sokka just has famously bad luck.

Thinking that would be our only fatal trial, I groaned aloud when we came to another clearing that was just a pool of lava.

"There's no floor! It's just a river of lava!" Sokka looked over the edge and Toph pulled him back by his hair.

Aang clicked his staff against the ground and the wings spread out, I did the same with my own.

"We can each take one of you," he said.

Sokka and Toph both grabbed onto Aang's arms, "I call Aang!"

I scowled and they laughed nervously.

While gliding over a river of lava. It is best to keep calm and still, definitely no screaming or squirming. And I think Sokka needs to hear that message, because he was going to get us both killed if he doesn't quit it.

"Bella, go slower!"

"I don't want to be cooked, Sokka!"

It didn't help that Aang was obviously holding back laughter because he was trying to be serious.