Chapter 53: Gracious Bella

--- 

--- 

The next day we were woken up early in the morning to leave the North Pole. We packed up our stuff in a drowsy silence and then loaded Appa and everything onto the ship. I was not excited to be on a ship for two days straight but I didn't exactly have a choice.

I was right about the ship. The swaying back and forth for a full day is not how I like to be. I almost dropped dead when I saw where we would be sleeping, underneath the boat were four hammocks attached to the ceiling, already swaying back and forth without our weight.

It was gonna be a long night.

I was right again about the swaying hammocks. Everyone is already sleeping an I'm struggling to keep my dinner inside of me. I groaned and stepped out of the hammock and stumbled onto the deck of the ship.

Everyone really is sleeping because I am the only one on the ship deck. I walked over to the side of the ship and put my arms down on the railing, feeling the air on my face helped.

I'm not sure how much time passed but then Aang came up through the steps as well and when he saw me he came and did the same thing next to me.

"What's wrong?" I asked him. "Nightmare." He mumbled.

"What about you?" He asked me. "Seasick." I replied.

"What was it about?" I asked him after some silence.

"I was in the Avatar State but I was outside my body watching myself, it was scary, I was scary." He answered.

I put my hand on his shoulder, trying to send some sort of comfort.

There was another moment of silence and then Aang spoke again, "You can sleep on the floor by my hammock."

The floor would be better then the hammock, there wouldn't be as much swaying. Though I wasn't quite sure why it had to be next to him, but I wasn't gonna question it.

I spent the night on the floor next to Aang.

—TIMESKIP—

It was finally the next day which meant we could get off the boat, Appa was positioned to take off but Pakku wanted to give us things. I held back my sigh and slid off of Appa.

"Katara, I want you to have this." Pakku said pulling a small moon amulet out of his brown bag. "This amulet contains water from the spirit oasis, the water has unique properties. Don't lose it."

"Thank you, Master Pakku." Katara said and went to hug him.

Then he turned to Aang, "Aang this scrolls will help you master waterbending, but remember, they are no substitute for a real master." Pakku said and gestured to Katara.

Then he turned to Sokka and I, "Have a safe trip." He said.

Well I see who the favorites are. Guess I have to control water to get something.

We climbed up onto Appa and Pakku spoke again, "Fly straight to the earth kingdom based to the east of here. General Fong will provide you with an escort to Omashu. There you'll be safe to begin your earthbending training with King Bumi."

We took note of his directions and then we finally left the boat. I instantly felt better when we were in the air.

—TIMESKIP—

It only took us a couple hours to reach the tip of the kingdom.

"There it is!" Sokka yelled pointing to the round wall around the palace. It was covered in gold and white marble and it was pretty small. Like stand on the stairs of the palace and see the whole kingdom small.

We dove into the kingdom and landed in front go the palace.

A man with a long brown beard dressed in green and gold greeted us.

"Welcome, Avatar Aang! I am General Fong." He spoke with his booming voice and then bowed, the guards behind him did so as well.

"And welcome to all of you great heroes— Appa, Momo, brave Sokka, gracious Bella, the mighty Katara." He yelled again.

Sokka and Katara get brave and mighty and I get...gracious. It's just what I get for seeming to be the least useful to the group. If only I told them, maybe I would get a cooler adjective.

"Mighty Katara? I like that." Katara said crossing her arms and smirking.

I heard fireworks going off behind us, all of this for helping at the North Pole? There's gotta be some reason he is sucking up to us. 

---TIMESKIP---

"Avatar Aang, we were all amazed at the stories of how you single-handily wiped out an entire fire navy fleet at the north pole. I can't imagine what it feels like to wield such devastating power, it's an awesome responsibility." General Fong said, he had invited us into his throne room and he was sat up above us while we were sitting before him.

"I try not to think about it too much." Aang said rubbing his neck.

"Avatar, you're ready to face the fire lord now." The general followed up.

What kind of an idea is that? We had one success, it doesn't mean we're invincible.

"What?! No I'm not!" Aang exclaimed.

I decided to speak up before anyone one of us started agreeing to this, "Aang still needs to master all four elements."

"Why? With the kind of power he possesses, power enough to destroy hundreds of battleships in a matter of minutes. He could defeat the Fire Lord now." The general said to me, getting more passionate about the idea as the time passed.

So this is what he wants, Aang's one man army.

"Sir, the thing is, Aang can only do those things when he's in the avatar state." Sokka finally started helping me get us out of this.

"See it's this special state where—"

The general cut Aang off, "I'm well aware. Your eyes and tattoos glow. And you're able to summon unbelievable power."

Not what the avatar state is.

"Without you, we'd be slaughtered before we even reach their shores, but with you leading the way, we could cut a swath right through the heart of the Fire Nation."

"Right, but I don't know how to get in or out of the avatar state. Much less what to do once I'm there..." Aang tried to explain.

"So it's decided, then. I'll help you figure out how to get into the avatar state, and then you'll face your destiny." The general yelled and it echoed through his grand palace.

"Nothing has been decided." I yelled standing up from my knees.

Aang, Sokka and Katara stood up as well, "We already have a plan. Aang's pursuing his destiny his way." Katara said.

The general looked displeased, "Well, while you take your time learning the elements, the war goes on."

He turned to Aang directly now, "May I show you something?"

Aang nodded and the general took him to the window of the palace.

"That's the infirmary. And those soldiers are the lucky ones, they came back," The general said to Aang as they looked out the window.

"Everyday the Fire Nation takes lives, people are dying Aang! You could end it now. Think about it." The general said and then left Aang to look out the window.

That's some brainwashing if i've ever seen it.

Aang turned around to face us and I saw...

Guilt.