Chapter 83: The Wall Of Ba Sing Se

"Can't you hold it in or something!?" Sokka screamed at the woman in labor.

"Sokka, calm down. Bella and I have helped to deliver lots of babies back home."

I remember...

"This isn't the same as delivering an arctic seal! This is a real... human... thing!" Sokka screamed again.

"It's called a baby, and we helped to deliver plenty of those too," Katara deadpanned.

"Aang, get some rags. Sokka, water. Toph I need you to make an earth tent. Bella--"

"No," I stated firmly and clearly.

I've done it many times, I don't need to do it anymore times. Now there are other people that can help out. I won't have to see this again for years, and years. Many years. Assuming we don't all die in a fiery explosion from the Fire Lord's comet...

"Fine. Suki, come with me."

Toph made an earth on the side of the mountain with Than and Ying inside, and Katara and Suki went in.

I'm not going to completely be apathetic, I'll also get some water and help Sokka.

~

Turns out It was a smart thing to do, since Sokka fainted and spilled it all when he went inside.

Sokka, Toph, Aang and I leaned against the outside of the tent waiting for an update.

The wall of Ba Sing Se was a little ways away. We could see it but it would at least take an hour to get there. Especially now that we'd be carrying along a newborn baby.

Our now slightly altered plan was to walk to Ba Sing Se, drop Than, Ying, the baby and the friend off at their new house. Quickly inform the earth king of the eclipse so they can get started on the invasion. And while it is being planned, we all will go looking for Appa.

Hopefully by then, Aang will be a little more determined to find him.

"It's a girl!" Katara called from the tent.

"So, you wanna go see the baby, or are you gonna faint like an old lady again?" Toph asked Sokka.

"No, no, I'm good this time."

We all entered the earth tent, which was big enough to hold all of us.

Than, Ying, and the friend sat on the floor. In Ying's arms was a little baby, with light skin and clumps of dark hair. She didn't open her eyes but her face was cute enough.

Her soft, short breaths filled the air. "She sounds healthy," Toph said.

"It's so squishy-looking..." Sokka whispered to me.

Then something amazing happened. For the first time in days. The first time since we actually left the desert. I saw Aang truly smile.

It was so beautiful that I couldn't help but get one on my face as well.

Finally, this is better.

"What should we name her?" Than asked Ying.

"I want our daughter's name to be unique. I want it to mean something."

Aang stepped forwards, "I've been going through a really hard time lately, but you've made me... hopeful again.

Once again, for the first time in forever, Aang met my eyes, and didn't immediately look away.

"I know what I want to name our baby now, Hope," Ying said as she looked down at her daughter.

~