Chapter 22: Avatar Roku

Aang, Sokka, Katara and I hid behind one of the large columns. Not to brag but this entire stunt was my plan. Okay thats bragging a little bit but it's fine. 

Shyu ran into the room, bringing the other sages, "Come quick, the avatar has entered the sanctuary!" Shyu yelled. "How did he get in?" The lead sage said. "I don't know, but look at the scorch marks, and down there." Shyu said, he pointed to the bottom of the door and Momo's shadow was walking around but of course they didn't know it was Momo. "He's inside! Open the doors immediately!" The lead sage yelled and they all lined up and shot fire into the dragon's mouths. Aang climbed up the pole and went to the front of it, the doors swung open and Momo stood there licking his paws. "It's the avatar's lemur..." one of the sages said. "He must have crawled through the pipes, we've been tricked!" The sage yelled. Momo then jumped and landed the sages head. Katara, Sokka and I each wrestled down the other three sages, I held his arm behind his back and sat on him. Quite comfortable. "Now Aang!" Shyu yelled. But Aang didn't go. "Aang, nows your chance!" Katara yelled, still no answer, somethings wrong.

Than I saw him, Zuko, he had hold of Aang and was covering his mouth. "The avatar's coming with me!" He yelled, they were at the end of the room, almost reaching the staircase. Okay now would be a great time to use airbending, right now, come on do it. My hand is not physically lifting up. I can't. I guess my focus was on bending because the sage I had hold of broke out of my arms and grabbed mine, the same happend to Shyu, Sokka and Katara. "Close the doors! Quickly!" Zuko yelled. The sages started to tie us up with chains on one of the columns. But Aang somehow ended up behind Zuko and pushed him down the stairs, he ran to the doors, jumping over the sages heads and made it into the room without a scratch. The door glowed. "He made it!" Katara said. The sages plus Zuko since shyu was also tied up, blasted fire into the mouths of the dragons, but nothing happend. "Why isn't it working, it's sealed shut!" Zuko yelled in anger. "It must have been the light, Avatar Roku doesn't want us inside." The lead sage said. At least Aang has protection. I looked out the window, the sun was just about ready, just one more minute. Zuko turned to Shyu in a moment of rage and took him out of his chains, "Why did you help the avatar?" Zuko yelled at him. "Because it was once the sages duty. It is still our duty." Shyu said. The doors suddenly burst open and even more people walked in. Yeah that's fine, just have a party we don't care. A man with a tight bun on the top of his head and a thick jawline was in front of about 50 fire nation soldiers. "What a moving and heartfelt performance." He leader said clapping his hands, his voice has cold and heartless. Just another angry fire nation man.

"I'm certain the fire lord will understand when you explain why you betrayed him." The leader said with a smirk that just made me want to rip his head off. I might hate him more than Zuko, and Zuko followed us all the way from the south pole. "Commander Zhao..." The sages said bowing to him.

Zhao...

ew.

"And prince Zuko." Zhao said throwing his hands up in the air. Prince, Zuko is the prince? Why isn't he actually in the fire nation then, I am so confused. "It was noble effort, but your little smokescreen didn't work." Zhao said to him. "Two traitors in one day." Zhao said with a sad voice but you could see in his eyes he was happy to be able to turn people in to the firelord and suck up to him. "The firelord will be pleased." He said with a sadistic smile that said I'm creepy very easily. The guards surrounded Zuko and took hold of his arms. "You're too late Zhao! The avatars inside and the doors are sealed." Zuko said. 

Zhao waved his arms, shutting Zuko up. "No matter, sooner or later, he has to come out." He said. I felt my eyes go wide. I hadn't thought about that. I scrambled my brain thinking of a solution. I decided airbending was the only way. When Zhao and his soldiers go for Aang they will be facing the door, that when we can strike from behind and Aang can have a safe exit. But to do that we needed to be free. Zhao and his guards stood in front of the door, in firebending stance. Thank god Katara was next to me and not Sokka so I could airbend. I airbended myself out of the chains and Katara looked over at what I had done. She gestured for me to do the same to her but I couldn't risk it so I untied her chains. Katara untied Sokka's and we stayed closed to the poll, holding the chain up with our hands behind our backs. Zhao and the guards stayed focused on staring at the door. God I hope Aang is learning something worthwhile.

"When those doors open, unleash all your firepower!" Zhao yelled in the ugliest, maddest, voice ever. I don't like him. 

There was a silence for awhile. Every person in the room waiting for that door to open, even if we had different reasons for waiting, the next few minutes of everybody's life in this room depends on that door. 

The door made a click sound and everyone straightened up.  

Then right them a blinding blue light emitted through the entire room. The doors burst open sending gusts of wind that sent everyone back. 

"FIRE!" Zhao yelled. The light disappeared and two glowing blue yes appeared in the darkness. Before I could step out of my place the guards fired but it was instantly bending into a ball around aang and shot back at us hitting everyone but us. 

Roku stood there, in a world of fire. 

Zuko ran out of the room, guards were pushed out the walls, the sages ran and Zhao jumped through the stairs all the way down

Zuko ran out of the room, guards were pushed out the walls, the sages ran and Zhao jumped through the stairs all the way down. Shyu stayed with us. 

 "Avatar Roku is going to destroy the temple! We have to get out of here!" Shyu yelled. "Not without Aang!" I said. I stood up from my crouched position. Shyu ran towards the stairs as well. Many guards were still running through the room. Roku sliced through the floor and lava rose through it. Once it was just Sokka, Katara and I crouched in a ball in the room, Avatar Roku disappeared with a shield of dust and Aang fell from it. I ran towards him and caught him mid fall. I wrapped his arm around my neck and we walked to the hole in the wall, I could see Appa in the distance flying there. Another burst of Lava made the temple go to the right slightly but we made it onto Appa. "Where's Shyu?" Aang asked me, tiredly. "He escaped." I said.  

We flew off the island. I watched the tower crumble down into the volcano and several fire nation ships leave the island. 

Well hopefully that was worth it.