Chapter 111: The Dancing Dragon

More or less, things were

More or less, things were... normal.

After the first couple of days we warmed up to Zuko.

I guess not—warmed up—but we at least got used to seeing him wake up in the morning.

But there was still one source of tension that couldn't seem to stop burning: Katara.

Every chance she could, she insulted him and brought up the past.

Like she didn't want any of us to forget how many times we've fought Zuko.

Which is understandable to a point, but after what I heard her tell him a couple of days ago, I was trying to talk to her about it every chance I could get.

She didn't seem to be budging, though.

Hopefully she'll start simmering down, soon.

Today were Zuko's and Aang's first lessons. They went off to a discrete part of the temple so the rest of us could relax.

Aang's finally going to learn some firebending, which means we're one step closer to stopping the war.

I couldn't be more delighted.

"I still think someone should go with them," Katara avoided our eyes as she mixed our lunch around in a pot.

"You heard what Zuko said, they can't be distracted," Toph sounded as disinterested as she looked.

Katara didn't say anything back, but she stirred the soup faster.

Weirdly enough, only a couple minutes after they left, we saw Zuko and Aang trekking back into eyesight and going off to our left.

They can't have been done already.

Katara glared at Sokka for a second, then he groaned, got up, and followed Zuko and Aang to wherever they were going.

Katara went back to stirring the soup.

~

The rest of the day went as normally as it could. Haru almost fell off the side of the temple, Zuko sulked, Sokka told bad jokes, and Toph flicked me in the head with a rock

Normal things.

It wasn't until that night that we figured out why Zuko was sulking more than normal.

"Listen everybody, I've got some pretty bad news. I've lost my stuff," he looked down at his feet.

Toph raised her hands, "Don't look at me, I didn't touch your stuff."

"I'm talking about my firebending, it's gone."

Cold laughing startled all of us.

Everyone turned to Katara.

"I'm sorry. I'm just laughing at the irony. You know, how it would've been nice for us if you lost your firebending a long time ago?"

"Well, it's not lost. It's just... weaker for some reason," Zuko replied.