Chapter 81: Full Moon Bay

Turns out it wasn't a long journey at all. Full Moon Bay was only about an hour away on foot.

And after the desert, an hour on foot was nothing.

After the long walk, they led us into a tunnel on the side of a mountain.

It gave me serious deja vu to be back in a tunnel, reminding me of the cave of two lovers.

I do my best to forget what happened in that cave, because if I don't I end up blushing profusely with Katara asking me if I'm okay. And then after the blushing I immediately feel guilty for keeping secrets from him.

We reached the end of the tunnel, to the point where it was a dead end. Ying knocked twice on the stone wall in front of us and then, by earthbenders I'm assuming, the tunnel wall opened up to a big open space.

The smell of fresh rice and sea water washed over me. There were tents all over the place with seemingly multiple different families scattered around. But behind them was a long high desk that separates the ocean cave from the actual water. Earth Kingdom workers sat at the desk and looked to be stamping passports.

Did we need passports?

I figured all of the people camped out were passengers of the ferry, waiting to board. The fresh rice smell seemed to be coming from everywhere that people were making food.

And the sea water obviously came from the fact that we were inches away from pure ocean, cramped in an ocean cave.

But all in all, a true safe haven away from the Fire Nation.

"I can't believe how many people's lives have been uprooted by the Fire Nation," Katara said, scanning the room. It's true, there were a lot of people here.

"We're all looking for a better life, safe, behind the walls of Ba Sing Se," Than replied.

~

We got in line to get tickets for the ferry, hoping that passports were not strictly required. Every now and then a ferry would launch from the bridge, full of passengers, so we had to get tickets quick.

The lady at the desk was loud and stern looking. The closer we got to the desk, the less hopes I had of us, odd people, getting tickets.

Out of all the people in the room, Aang was the only one wearing orange and yellow, and Katara, Sokka and I were the only ones wearing blue. Everyone else was wearing greens and muted browns, as the Earth Kingdom usually did.

At least Toph fit in a little bit.

We approached the desk after the lady let out a terrifying, "Next!"

"Um, five tickets for the ferry to Ba Sing Se, please," Aang spoke cautiously.

Than and Ying were getting tickets of their own.

"Passport," The lady said in a gruff voice.

Ugh.

"Uh, no one told us we had to have passports," Aang said, retreating back.

Then Sokka stepped forwards, grabbing Aang's arm and bringing him forwards, "Don't you know who this is? He's the avatar."

It's always low playing the avatar card, but it's usually effective.

"Ah! I see fifty avatars a day! And by the way, not a very impressive costume," She pointed to a group of kids over to the side all dressed up to look like...Aang.

Oh my goodness.

"Besides! No animals allowed," The lady said again directing my attention back to her. She was glaring at Momo.