Chapter 28: Lies

Really trying not to incorporate swear words in Bella's line of thought. It's harder than it sounds. (Sorry this ones a little short I wanted to end it in a dramatic way and I think I did just that. I will be started the next chapter right now.)

Sokka and I sat there uncomfortably while Jet continued to talk to Katara and Aang about amazing benders they are. I stayed out of it until Jet said something that caught my attention.

"So I might know a way that you and Aang can help in our struggle." Jet said taking a sip of his drink. I immediately stood up, I wasn't gonna let him pull us in, we need to get to the north pole. Sokka also stood up and spoke, "Unfortunately, we have to leave tonight." He said. Jet didn't show any other emotion other than the one that I though was so familiar. It's like he was a faceless doll. Sokka and I began to walk away when he called out to us, "Sokka, you're kidding me. I needed you on an important mission tomorrow." Sokka immediately turned around and raised an eyebrow. Does nobody understand we have to get to the north pole? "What mission?" Sokka asked Jet. Jet smirked and stood up next to us, "You'll find out tomorrow, right now I will show you where you are sleeping." He said. Katara and Aang stood up and soon, once again, we were following Jet.

He lead us to one of the bigger cabins, inside it was basically just a wooden box, but Momo seemed to have a fun time swinging on the ceiling boards. Jet left us to unpack and we had a quiet night. 

Well everyone else did, I stayed awake stressing over everything, and stressing over the fact that no one else is stressing over everything.

Sounds fun doesn't it.

---NIIIIIIIIIIIGHT---

I woke up to early morning light and bird sounds. I smiled and sat up but the moment I remembered where I was the smile went away. Sokka was no where to be seen, probably on Jet's secret mission and Aang and Katara were busy doing something. 

Then suddenly the door burst open and there stood Sokka, his face only showing anger. He stomped into the cabin, rolled up his sleeping bag and then stomped out. Aang, Katara and I exchanged concerned looks before we followed him outside.

In hindsight I probably shouldn't have let Katara do the talking.

He was sitting against a part of the tree holding his sleeping bag. "Sooooo is Jet back?" Katara asked him. Sokka turned to her his face contracting even more into a frown. "Yeah, he's back. But we're leaving." He said standing up. 

I second that.

"What?" Aang asked him worriedly. Katara looked absolutely devastated. "You're boyfriend Jets a thug." Sokka said again.

I also second that.

"What? No he's not!" Katara said, sounding like a complaining child. "He's messed up Katara." Sokka said again.

Can I have a sign that reads I second that. 

"He's not messed up he just has a different way of life, a really fun way of life." Aang piped in, mostly gesturing to the tree house. "He beat and robbed a harmless old man!" Sokka said. That caught my attention, I honestly am not surprised but sure still wanna get the heck out of here. I turned to look at Katara to see what she was feeling but she looked as if it just flew over her head. God she gets so annoying when she has a crush.

"I wanna hear Jet's side of the story." She said, crossing her arms. I huffed and finally spoke in the conversation, "We don't have time for this Katara, I trust Sokka and we should leave." I said to her. She completely ignored me and turned around and started making her way to Jet's cabin.

I guess we are doing this now.

---Jet's Cabin---

"Sokka, you told them what happend, but you didn't mention that the guy was fire nation." Jet said in his usual monotone with the same piece of grass in his mouth. I fantasize about walking up to him, taking the grass out of his mouth and then punching him really hard in the face.

It would be so satisfying.

"No, he conveniently left that part out." Katara said, still being extremely annoying. "Fine but even if he was fire nation he was a harmless civilian." Sokka said. 

Jet's eyes filled with that familiar look again. He stood up from his chair and threw a knife down in the table. It honestly made me jump. He then twisted the end of the handle and a capsule fell out, it was filled with red liquid. "See there's a compartment for poison in the knife that he had, he was sent to eliminate me." Jet said. Katara filled with happiness for some reason, "I knew there was an explanation." She exclaimed. Sokka walked closer to the table, "I didn't see any knife." He said. 

"That's because he was concealing it." Jet said. "See Sokka I'm sure you just didn't notice the knife." Katara said so sweetly it hurt my ears. "There was no knife! I'm going back to the cabin to pack my things!" Sokka yelled storming out of the cabin.

Once Sokka was gone, Jet walked up to the three of us, "Tell me you guys aren't leaving yet. I really need your help." Jet said with fake emotion in his voice. I call it fake because his voice sounded sincere but that same familiar feeling in his eyes lingered.

"What can we do?" Aang asked him.

"The fire nation is planing on burning down our forest. If you both use waterbending to fill the reservoir, we could fight the fires, but if you leave now it'll all be destroyed." Jet said.

This was a complete lie. If you asked me how I knew it was a lie I couldn't tell you. I just knew that was a complete lie right to our faces. Aang and Katara gasped and ran off, probably to reason with Sokka. 

But I stayed behind. Jet and I made eye contact. I wanted to call him a liar and scream at him but I didn't, only because something clicked in my head to why he felt so familiar. I've seen the same emotion, the same horrifying emotion, the same rage in only one other person.

Zuko.