Chapter 122: Fireworks (Short)

For once, there was nothing holding us back

For once, there was nothing holding us back. There was nothing in the world that could possibly interrupt—

"Hey guys—AH!!!"

We pulled apart abruptly and saw Sokka standing there, looking like a ghost.

"Nothing! We're not doing anything out here!" Aang left my side and started waving his arms around.

"Haven't you ever heard of knocking, Sokka!?" For some reason this was more upsetting than when Azula shot me full of lightning.

He crossed his arms and ignored Aang, who was looking anxious beyond relief. "First of all, you're supposed to knock before you go inside, not before you go outside!"

"And second, as my adopted sister, you really shouldn't be kissing anyone in front of me. It's your sisterly duty to avoid giving me the oogies!"

I could hear Katara laughing in the room behind him.

"What about you and Suki!?"

"That doesn't count!—"

"Guys?" Aang interrupted us.

We stopped yelling and Sokka turned to him. "Yeah Aang?"

"What'd you come out here to tell us?" Aang asked him.

"Oh! Right. We're about to head out."

Aang lifted an eyebrow. "But the Earth King's celebration doesn't start for a couple more hours."

"I know, we wanted to take Appa out for a ride first."

So Sokka, Suki, Katara, Toph, Zuko, Aang and I got into Appa's saddle. Mai didn't want to come, which prompted Toph to try and get out of it too, but Sokka dragged her on board.

Aang and I sat in the front together while we took a ride around Ba Sing Se.

Soon, the fireworks began.

"Hey, wanna know what fireworks are like for me?" Toph asked Sokka. He nodded.

"Close your eyes," She said again.

Toph got close to his ear, "BOOM!" She yelled and Sokka screamed.

"Oh, Toph! Don't be such a grump. You're out with friends on a beautiful night, celebrating the fact that we saved the world." Katara tried to cheer her up.

"True," she mumbled.

Aang and I turned back around to the fireworks. Blue, purple, red, orange, green, and white explosions were surrounding us, while cheers from the people below us filled in the silence.

It was magical, and Aang and I held hands for the duration.

~

Something was bothering me.

And for the first time in my life, I knew what my problem was.

After twisting and turning in bed for at least an hour, I finally sat up and stood in the dark room.

I blindly stumbled over to the desk and lit a small candle.

I pulled the diary from my bag, flipped to a new page, inked a brush, and let it hover over the paper.

I figured I'd start the story at the very beginning. The day we found the boy in the iceberg.