Chapter 18: Earth vs Fire

Just here me out. I wanna try this style of writing. I prefer it better, if you really don't like it maybe I will change it.

After Aang left, me and Sokka waited in silence. But it didn't take that long for Aang to return with Katara following close behind him. "Your twelve hours are up. Where's Haru?" Sokka asked Katara immediately, desperate to get out of the boat prison. Katara looked upset, "I can't," She said. "We don't have much time there are guards everywhere." Sokka said, he reached his hand out for her to grab it and climb onto Appa but she refused. "Katara we are sitting ducks!" I whispered anxiously to her. "I'm not leaving." She said very sure of herself. "I'm not giving up on these people." She said, when she was in this mood, there is no stopping her. Her eyes were serious. Aang and I shared looks and we all got off of Appa and gathered around her. "What do you mean you're not leaving?" Sokka asked her worriedly. "We can't abandon these people!" Katara whisper yelled to him. "Maybe she's right. what do you say Sokka?" I said, looking at him. "I think you're both crazy!" Sokka said. I looked to Aang, he nodded to me in agreement. "Last chance we need to leave now." Sokka said in one last effort. "No." Katara said. "I hate it when you get like this." Sokka said, accepting defeat. "Come on we better hide." Sokka said again leading all of us onto the boat.

We walked stealthily over to a bunch of crates. Sokka sat down after looking around and we followed his actions. "We don't have much time, what are we going to do?" Sokka asked us. "I tried talking the earthbenders into fighting back, but it didn't work. If there was just a way to help them help themselves." Katara said. "For that they need some kind of Earth or some rock." Aang said. "But this entire place is made of metal." Katara said. I looked around us, then I remembered what I did with the little boat, the smoke, I looked around once more and surely enough there was a large stream of smoke above us. "No it's not, look at the smoke, I bet they're burning coal in other words, Earth." I said still looking up. "Bella you're a genius." Sokka said.

"Okay so here's the plan..."

---Time skip---

"Everyone know what they are supposed to do?" Sokka asked us. "Yep!" Aang said, this time not playing with a butterfly. "Bella." Sokka said. "Yeah?" I answered him. "I think you should go back on Appa," he said. "What? Why?" I asked him very confused, why would I want to leave them. "Because you have no defense or offense." He said it like it has obvious. Yes I do. But I couldn't tell him that so I went with the first thing that came to my mind. "What? That's a stupid reason." I said. Katara noticed my slight pause and was giving me pity eyes because she knew my secret. "Bella that's a good point." Aang said from next to me. "No it's not. I'm staying." I said sternly, wanting him to back off. "Fine. But stay close." Sokka said. I nodded.

Sokka, Katara and I stayed down next to the first vent and Aang had gone up to the smoke stream. "It's almost dawn. We're running out of time, you sure this is gonna work." I asked Sokka. "It should. These vents reminded me of our little trick back at the village we're going to do the same thing but on a much bigger scale." Sokka said. "There's a huge deposit of coal at the base of this prison, and the whole system is ventilated. Aang closed off all the vents except one, when he does his airbending, the cole only has one place to go." Sokka explained once more the plan.

"There's the intruder!" I heard someone yell, I looked up to see about fire guards with spears in front of us. "Stay back! I'm warning you!" Sokka yelled. Okay I feel naked defense and offense wise. I can't do anything without blowing my secret. I need to tell Aang. Gotta do that. "You're a step away from dying where you stand." A firebender standing in front of all the guards said to us, who I am guessing is the warden. Suddenly the vent began to shake and millions of pieces of coal shot out of it. It landed in a big mound in front of us. Katara ran up to the pile and stood on top of it. "Here's your chance earthbenders, take it! your fate is in your own hands!" Katara yelled. Aang popped out of the vents. A few of the earthbenders stepped back. This is not how this has supposed to go.The warden laughed. "Foolish girl, you thought a few inspirational words would change these people? Look at these blank hopeless faces, their spirits will broken a long time ago, oh, but you still believed in them how pathetic." The warden said. "They're a waste of your energy little girl." He finished. I hung my head in embarrassment even though I wasn't the one getting embarrassed and the warden and guards began to walk away.

But I heard a crack and I turned back around, Someone had shot a little pebble into the back of the warden's neck. He turned around angrily. And to my surprise it was Haru who had shot the pebble. The warden shot blast of fire at him but what I assume to be Haru's father shielded him with a wall of coal. "Show no mercy!" The warden yelled to his guards. They began to open fire at the crowd of prisoners and us included. Oh my god, I'm helpless. To my luck 3 of the earthbenders from the crowd lifted a wall of coal and blocked everyone. They then pushed it down back into the ground shoving back most of the guards. Then all hell broke loose, it was earthbenders against firebenders. Katara grabbed my wrist and pulled me behind her. At least it was her and not Aang or Sokka.

I saw multiple waves of Earthbending and firebending fighting against each other. It wasn't like anything I've ever seen. Aang and Sokka were mostly in front pushing them out of the way and Katara and I we're right behind them.

I saw that the warden and most of the guards had been knocked out. The earthbenders formed a platform of coal underneath them and move them over the ocean. The earthbenders drop them to save us time and we quickly got everyone onto the ships.

Once everyone had settled down onto the ships Aang and Sokka ran over to us. "Are you guys okay?" Aang asked us. "Perfect." Katara said. "I'll call Appa." Aang mumbled and walked near the edge of the boat. Aang called for Appa and he swooped down from the sky and landed in the water. I climbed up onto him followed by Aang and the Sokka. Katara has now talking to Haru and his father.  

Aang smiled dumbly at me. What an idiot. I wish I could tell him I was an airbender.