Chapter 30

I paused on the stairs. I didn’t want to go down. My hand stayed on the railing, there was shuffling in the kitchen. 

“Monica-”

“I don’t want to.” I told her, “I’m tired, goodnight.”

“I don’t remember asking.” My mother raised her voice. I sighed and rolled my eyes, hopefully she heard my distress. 

My socked feet padded against the hard wood, and eventually onto the marble tile of the kitchen. My mother sat at the table, a glass of wine in her left hand. 

At least it’s out of a glass. 

“Monica,” She stood up, “This is Henry, my new Boyfriend.” 

My eyes trailed over to the man sitting across from my mother. He definitely looked rich. 

He had thin, grey hair tinted black that was parted at the left. He had thin eye brows and lips, a slight stubble around his jaw. He had almond shaped brown eyes, framed with a thin lash line. 

He was definitely older, and if I was my mom’s age I would of liked him too. He was dressed in a nice work suit, he clearly had a lot of business in him.

“Nice to meet you.” I nod at him, not really interested. 

He nodded back, “How old are you? You look about my daughter’s age.” 

“Eighteen.” I answered, he nodded while sipping his red wine. 

“She is a bit older, you appear older than you are.” His British accent wasn’t something from around here.

I shuffled awkwardly. “Don’t let the height fool you.” I joked. He let out a loud laugh, although it wasn’t that funny. My mother joined in afterwards, always trying to relate to everyone. 

“Well, it was nice meeting you.” I run out, leaving them laughing. I rushed up to my room and locked the door behind me. 

I pull my phone out of my pocket and unlock it, finding a message from Harry. 

‘Are you alright?’ 

Then a second one, after I didn’t reply to the 1st one within 10 minutes. 

‘Monica? Are you alright?’ 

I texted back, telling him that I was fine. 

I laid back onto my bed, my mom was stressing me out. 

The vibration in my hand startled me, Harry texted again. 

‘Good.’