Chapter 9: I Think I Love You

Chapter 9

*Alex's POV*

Jack had been acting weird for a while. Like weirder than usual, and that's saying something. Whenever I tried to confront him and ask him what was going on, he would blush and run away. Literally run away from me. It really hurt. He was my best friend and he was keeping secrets from me. I decided to try and ask Emma if she knew what was going on.

"Emma?" I asked, confronting her in the main lounge one afternoon. We were alone on the bus.

"What's up Lex?" She asked.

I paused. "Do... do you know what's going on with Jack? I mean, he's avoiding me and he won't even look at me."

"Why do you care so much? Haven't you ever been mad at each other before?" She asked me.

I thought about it. "No. Not really. We always work it out. We've always told each other everything."

"You never told him about me."

That shut me up real fast. "Yeah but..."

"But what Lex?"

I paused. "You're right. I just wish he would at least look at me. It hurts. It's like he can't stand to look at me. What did I do wrong Emmy?"

She shrugged.

I sighed. "Why does it hurt so much Emmy?"

"Let me ask you something Lex."

"Go for it."

"How do you feel about Jack?"

I frowned. "What do you mean? He's my best friend. I love him like crazy."

"You love him? Just as a friend, or is there more to it than that?"

I froze. "What?"

"You heard me Lex."

"He's my best friend! He's straight! I love him as a friend!" I screamed, more to myself than at Emma.

"Are you sure about that Lex? I think there's more to it than that. I see the way you look at him, the way you two act together. There is more to it," she said.

I could feel my face heating up as my eyes started to water. "I have a girlfriend and I love her!"

"I never said you didn't. I just think you love Jack a lot more than you are willing to admit."

I shook my head, tears rushing down my face.

"I'm not going to make you do anything Alex. I just want you to think about this and face the facts. You love him."

She stood up and walked off the bus. I sat there in shock and denial. I couldn't love Jack that way. He was my best friend. He would never feel the same way. I mean, he had been avoiding me. How can he love me, when he can't even look at me.

I heard a sound outside the bus, but I continued to sit in silence, tears falling from my eyes.

"What are you doing?!" I heard Jack shout just seconds before he fell to the floor of the bus with a bang.

"Start talking you 2!" I heard Emma yell before she shut the door and locked us in.

Jack stood up and dusted himself off. Our eyes locked for a split second before we both turned away. It was silence for a few minutes, the only sound being my heart wrenching sobs that I couldn't hold in.

"Are you okay?" Jack asked, his voice barely a whisper.

I shook my head. "No. No I'm not."

"What's wrong," he asked. He sat beside me on the couch and put his hand on my leg.