Chapter 32: Broken Promise

Chapter 32

*Zack's POV*

I whipped my head around, frantically searching for my girlfriend. My heart dropped when I realized she was nowhere to be found. I turned and ran towards the door. I got the sidewalk in front of the house before I spun back around. Alex crashed into me.

"Where would she have gone?" I screamed. I was seriously panicking.

Alex looked at me, terrified. "I don't know!" He cried.

I grabbed his shoulders. "Alex! Focus!" An idea popped into my head. "Is there a park around here? One with trees?"

Alex paused then nodded quickly. "Yeah! We used to go there all the time as kids!"

"Would Emma remember where it was?"

He nodded again. "That's where she is, Zack! I know she is!"

He took off sprinting down the sidewalk. He cut through traffic without paying attention and nearly got hit by car. I sprinted behind him, slowly closing the distance between us. He slowed down as a small park came into view.

"Where do we look?" Alex asked.

"Trees! Look in trees!" I screamed.

Jack looked at me. "Trees?" He asked me.

I nodded frantically. "Yes! Look in trees!"

We all went in opposite directions. I took off straight into the middle of the park. I tore down the path with my head whipping around, searching every tree. I heard thunder in the distance. "Shit!" I murmured under my breath.

It started pouring 2 minutes later. There was no warning other than the one thunder boom. It came down all at once, soaking me instantly.

"Emma!" I screamed through the rain.

I heard a muffled cry coming from my right. I took off running towards it. As I got closer, I realized it was Alex.

"Emma! Please come down!" He screamed through the rain.

I ran up to him and looked up. Emma was sitting on a branch about 15 feet off the ground. My heart dropped even further when I saw the glint of her blade. Then, I saw the blood dripping from her wrists.

"Emma!" I cried. "Emma, listen! Please come down!"

She wasn't listening though.

Rian and Jack found us a few seconds later.

"We have to get her down!" Alex screamed hysterically.

Tears were streaming down both mine and Alex's faces. "I don't know what to do!" I shrieked.

Alex looked between Rian and I, then at Jack. He looked back up at Emma once more before he turned to us. "Jack! Rian! Boost me up! Zack, get ready in case we fall!" He ordered.

We scrambled and got into position. Rian and Jack boosted Alex up so that he was almost level with Emma. "Emma! Come here!" He cried through the rain. "God dammit Emma! Please! Stop!"

Everything happened quickly. Alex grabbed Emma and yanked her out of the tree, careful not to grab her cut wrists. They both flew backwards, where I was ready to catch them both. Rian and Jack managed to catch Alex, while Emma came flying straight at me. I caught her and hugged her tight to my chest.

She looked up at me, her face red with tears and blood, her hair hanging limply in her face. "I'm sorry Zack," she whispered. "I broke my promise."

Her eyes began to flutter. My heart started pounding as I realized she was about to pass out. "Emma! Stay with me! Emma!" I screamed. I was hysterical.