The Bachelor

As he sat on the praying mat saying his Azkhar, He heard the door behind him being pushed slowly as though it was caused by the wind. She paused from her dramatic tiptoe as she caught sight of her brother on the carpet.

"Ya Mahmud! You're awake"

"Shouldn't you be in school or something? "He wore his face in a way that every emotion was hidden, as though it were behind a mask."

"I thought I told you that we are on our Mid-term break."

"I see."

His face was still stiff and dry. Zarah felt she needed to get out of there as soon as she could. They all feared him. Although he never spoke much,but everything he does scares the living day light out of his siblings and those who worked for and with him. For that reason, everyone was cautious of their words and gestures around him.

"Yaya you are very forgetful. You asked the same question yesterday. "

His unwaivering gaze at her gave her goosebumps as she took a step backward.

" Ahhh anyway, Mamie is looking for you." She spoke as she bolted out of the room in a playful manner.

Mamie sat on the coffee table next to the window,with a book in her hand and a bowl of freshly made fruit salad. She paused as she wondered what was taking her son so long to answer her call. Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of his voice.

"Salamu alaikum. "

Mamie answered smiling at the sight of her son. He wore a light blue kaftan and a matching cap,lets not forget the scent of his heavenly cologne which had defeated the scent of the turaren wata in Mamie's room.

He sat down on the bed opposite of her, with a very shallow smile that faded afterwards as he murmured his greetings.

"Mamie. You called for me"

"Oh yes I did, but first have you had anything to eat? "

" Not yet,but I will be heading out soon. I will grab something on the way."

"Ohhh no no noo, there wont be need for that. We do cook in this house, far better meals than you get out there. I should have stopped this habit of yours a long time ago." She tried to hide the anger in her voice but her eyes spoke otherwise. She took a deep breath and managed a smile on her wrinkled face.

"I have prepared your favorite dish. You just sit here, I will ask the maid to serve your food and we shall discuss the issue over your meal." She raised her eyebrow while ending the statement as she waited for an answer.

"That sounds good." He tried to fake enthusiasm as his stomach grumbled for it had been hours since he had anything to eat.

The food was served in no time. It was Tuwon shinkafa and Egusi soup. He ate as Mamie brought up the topic that had been discussed a hundred times over.

" Mahmud,your father already thinks I am covering up for you and that I am spoiling you way too much." She looked a bit absent minded as she ended the statement for she knew there was a bit of truth in her husband's words.

"Come on Mamie you know... "

"Don't you Mamie me! Even I am fed up Mahmud.I haven't seen a single girl you like or at least show affection towards. I am becoming very worried"

"Mamie everything happens according to the Will of Allah. I just need more time"

She huffed as he mentioned the word "time." "How much time will you need?! We have gone through this a number of times. This phrase sickens me."

He seemed to be out of words when ever his parents put him in this position and so Mamie continued.

"I think I have a solution to the problem." She paused as he raised his head to look at her."You know my friend Hajiya Maryam right?" She didn't wait for an answer. "I want you to meet her daughter Hannan. She is beautiful and very modest. I think you would like her."  Mamie said sounding all excited.

"Well I have already spoken to her mother about it, and we would like to give you an opportunity to get to know each other."

He slammed his right palm on his face, knowing the decision had already been made and that he had no option as Mamie had arranged everything.

"Try and make this one work."

He wanted to speak but nothing came out. He only managed to groan "In Shaa Allah" to almost his hearing alone, but Mamie managed to catch his words.

"Yauwa Mahmud. May Allah make it easy for you." She smiled as the event happened even better than she had anticipated. He managed to smile back as his mother's prayer warmed his cold heart.

Few days had gone by and Mahmud has still not inquired about his blind date. Mamie was getting desperate. She wouldn't let him off the hook so easily.

Just as he was getting ready to leave for his three-day seminar, his phone rang. He reached for his pocket and his eyes grew thinner giving his face a tiring look. He swiped to answer.

"Hello Salamu alaikum "

"Wa alaikumus Salam. Kazo ina neman ka!" Mamie spoke with authority in her voice as she ended the call. He stared at his phone until the lights went out. He then rose to his feet and headed to the door.

"Salamu alaikum." He entered the room and sat down on the carpet next to the bed where his mother sat.

" Yauwa Mahmud, you haven't mentioned anything about going to Hajiya Maryam's." He scratched the back of his head a bit.

"Errm Mamie, I was thinking of going after I get back from Lagos." Mamie frowned a bit. If there is anyone that knows Mahmud,its Mamie.

"No. We are not doing this again. You will go and see this girl before you leave!" Mahmud pouted a bit. "Haba Mamie,its just for three days." He pleaded.

" If you respect me as your mother then you will visit Hannan before you leave." It was hard to resist rolling his eyes. If there is anything he knows it's how Mamie can be dramatic.

"Mamie dearest...Don't say that please. I will see her before I leave In shaa Allah".

He smiled at her as he stood up to leave.  "Yauwa Mahmud, I wanted to talk to you about my baby's graduation. You know I can't go to London in my condition so what do you think I should get her?"

He gave a frustrating sigh. "Mamie can't it wait until I am back?" I am running late plus I have to visit Aunty Maryam's"

"Off you go then. I wish you a safe journey."

" Thank you Mamie." He spoke as he closed the door behind him.