The Blind Date

He came out of the house with a small box and headed towards the car. The driver ran towards him as fast as he could and relieved him of his luggage. He then opened the back door but Mahmud opened the door to the passenger's seat and sat down with out saying a word.

As soon as they reached the main road, He told the driver where he was going and they headed straight to Aunty Maryam's.

The car came to a stop. He got out and walked to the front door pressing the  doorbell. The door opened before he could press it again. It was as if she was waiting by the door for his arrival. She was tall, fair and very skinny. He recognized her instantly as he had seen her a couple of times around the house.

"salamu alaikum "

" Wa alaikumus Salam. Please come in."

As she led the way to the parlour, he sat down on a single armless chair closest to the door. There was complete silence for a while.

" I am Hannan" she spoke gently, looking at his direction.

" I am Mahmud Bello, but you already know that and I am sure you also know that I came here unwillingly."

Her smile faded, wondering how this beautiful creature could be so beastly. As she hoped all the makeup and the food being prepared would not all go in vein.
She had loved Mahmud for as long as she could remember. She wouldn't just let this opportunity slip by.

"I have somewhere I'd rather be so lets be fast about this." He spoke with his eyes fixed on her which made her realise how lost she had been in her thoughts.

"Let's go to the dinning area so you could have something to eat and then we can talk a bit."

"Oh no don't worry about that." he spoke raising to his feet

"Don't do this, I can bring something over for you if you don't want to go there." She  said quickly while batting her eyelashes at him.

"I wont have anything to eat,Thank you.  And please if anyone asks you tell them you don't like me and it wouldn't work out between us."

He left before she could say anything. She felt a sharp pain in her chest, she sat on the chair closest to her with her hand on her chest trying to stabilize her breathing.

"How dare you Mahmud? how dare you." she murmured as she tried to calm herself down. It was the first time anyone had ever rejected her. As soon as she was a bit calm she ran to her mother's room.
She sat down next to her mother and the tears in her eyes came running down her cheeks. Hajiya maryam was frightened at the sight of her daughter crying.

"Hanny me ya faru? Talk to me hanny." She spoke as she scooped her face with both hands.
"Hanny say something, what happened? It took a while before Hannan could speak. "He doesn't like me." she said as she buried he face in her mother's laps.

Hajiya maryam gave her daughter a few days to calm down and then called her to talk. She had noticed a change In her daughter's behavior. She barely ate and she was always in her room these days, barely speaks to anyone. It broke her mother's heart seeing her only daughter like that.

"Hanny my baby, how are you feeling?" She spoke to her daughter smiling.

Hannan managed a smile on her face "I am okay" she spoke in a low tone.

"Hanny love, I don't want you to worry yourself over little issues. If you really want Mahmud, he will be yours. I will make sure of that."

Hannan gave out a sigh of relief. It had been a while since she heard anything as good as that. Her excitement grew in her eyes making her cheeks red, her mother gave her a teasing look, leaving her shy as she covered her face with her palm.

_________________________________________

"Minal have you seen my purple scarf?" Amma spoke as she was going through Minal's things.

"What are you doing?" She heard Minal's voice behind her. Her mouth opened to a gape at the sight of Minal. She was still in her pj's. It's been two days since she had taken a bath and her hair was a mess.

" What are you doing?" Minal asked again this time in a louder tone.

"We can discuss what I am doing here later. Why are you still in you pajamas??" she paused for a bit trying to figure out what to do with Minal. She knew what all the fuss was about so she didn't bother to ask." I am not going out without you. You have to go out with me even if I have to drag you out myself."

"Fine!" Minal groaned. Amma fixed her a hot bath and brought out a blue dress for her. She was ready in no time, she didn't need makeup everyone thought she looked better without it.

As they headed to the door , Minal's  phone began to ring. It was then she realised that she had left it in the room. She rushed back in to get the phone only to see it was her sweet aunt calling she smiled and answered "Aunty shattu"

Aunty Shattu (Mamie) is her mother's elder and only sister. A mother to Mahmud, Nasreen, Amani and Zarah.

Minal didn't wait for her aunt to answer.
"I have missed you so much!! How are you feeling? How are Amani and the rest?" Mamie had to stop her.

"Minal...Which one do you want me to answer first?" she laughed. "Ohh so sorry Mamie. I just miss you and your cooking." She giggled.

"You shall have a buffet when you get back In shaa Allah."

" How is your leg?"Minal asked
" Alhamdulillah, but I will still need you to come back and massage it for me."

"Minali at your service, I will bring back some ointments in shaa Allah."

"I spoke to Ammi about your graduation and she told me none of them are going. I wanted to send Amani and Nasreen but you know I can't send them alone." Mamie spoke as she felt sorry for her niece.

"Don't worry about it Mamie love. I know if you had your way you wouldn't miss it."

Mamie felt very guilty. "I promise I will make it up to you when you get back.  Okay?"

"Okay Mamie." Minal let out a sigh of relief.

"Okay dear. I'll call you later." They said their goodbyes as Anty Shattu ended the call.

She adjusted her scarf and went out to meet Amma who was waiting outside.