The Ultimatum

Mahmud

We were back in Kaduna at last. I haven't gotten any good sleep since the wedding started although I had a good time.

I was too scared to open my emails. I had over fifty mails. I had a quick shower,got dressed for work and picked the keys to my car and rushed out.

"Mahmud where to?" Mamie's voice came through. I moved closer scratching the back of my neck.

"Errr I wanted to errmm...check something in the office." I stammered knowing very well Mamie won't approve of it.

Her bright smile wavered. "We just got back. Aren't you tired?" She asked without waiting for an answer to the question. "Rest for today. Work can always wait until tomorrow." She continued.

I was honestly stressed from the wedding and the sleepless nights. I couldn't argue. Mamie's voice stopped me as I turned back to the room.

"Do you have a minute?" She asked grabbing me by the arm."I was hoping we could talk." She spoke with so much enthusiasm.

"Anything for my darling Mamie." I smiled even though my heart fluttered for a moment as I wondered what it was she wanted to talk about.

I followed behind her to her room. The smell of her bakhoor was amazing it could relieve stress. I sat down on the chair opposite her's on the coffee table focusing my attention to Mamie.

"Well son, it's about your proposal." I heard her mutter as a volt of electric shock ran down my spine.

"What proposal?" I asked sounding serious.

"Don't act dumb with me. Well I just wanted to inform you that the formalities will take place two weeks from now." I heard her voice from afar yet I was so close to her.

I couldn't manage a single word. How could I explain to Mamie that I don't want to get married to this girl? How do I explain to her how cunning Hannan and her mother can be? It's not like she would believe me. But I have managed to wiggle my way out of her previous match makings. I don't think this would be any different. I just had to come up with something concrete.

"Mahmud..." Mamie brought me back from my thoughts. I had drifted so far in thought I had no idea what she had been babbling.

"When last did you go to visit my soon to be daughter in law?" She winked.

I began to stammer thinking of what excuse to give her. She ignored my efforts and continued to talk.

"Well I told Hajiya Maryam you will be visiting this evening. In fact I have something for Hannan." As she pointed to the gift bag next to her.

"Mamie can we not do this please.." I groaned and pleaded but to no avail.

I went back to my chamber after a brief chitchat with Mamie. "What are these women up to?" I murmured to myself feeling disgusted.

Minal

My posting letter had just arrived. I was quite anxious. I went straight to Papi's living room where Umma and Ammi sat discussing. This is Umma's second week,she came down with arthritis two days after the wedding so she wasn't allowed to travel back to Gombe in her condition.

"Salam." I mummured as I made my way to where they were all seated holding my tablet.

"The letter just came through." I said sounding all nervous.

"Well..." Papi said as they turned their attention towards me waiting for the news.

"I wanted us to check it together." I grinned passing the tablet to Papi.