Unwanted Guests

Minal

It's been a week since I came to Kaduna. I haven't seen Nazeer not once and I am bored to death. I haven't gone out of the house since I came. I was starting to get depressed.

I got up to sneak to Amani's room in long black tights and my blue hoodie sweater using the hood to cover my messy hair half way. It was still early I figured no one would be awake.

I was halfway there when I realized I left my phone in the room. I took two steps backward before turning back. It almost felt like hitting a brick and the feeling of hot liquid from my left shoulder down to my arm penetrating my thick wool sweater. He just stood there holding a half empty cup as I wriggled in pain.

" Next time try not to bump into other people." He said with a straight face staring at me.

I was so frustrated I could feel a lump in my throat. I looked back at him as part of my hair covered my view. He bent down a bit looking closely at my face.

"Get me a fresh cup of coffee when you are done. I'll be in my room" He walked to his room slamming the down as he went in.

I stood there with tears in my eyes but I wasn't going to cry. No way! The beast didn't even ask if I got hurt. "Coffee my foot!" I said as I angrily stamped my foot and walked back to my room.

I removed my sweater immediately. I was relieved to see that it wasn't that bad. My arm had turned red due to the hot coffee but it wasn't bad.

I drew a hot bath and got dressed in my olive green and black abaya. I took a sit in front of the dressing mirror going through my jewelry box when Nasreen came into the room wearing an apron which was covered in flour, even her hands were messy.

"Hello sisi" she said as she stood behind me looking through the mirror.  "I am making strawberry pancakes. Interested?"  she asked raising her eyebrow.

"Of course." I said raising to my feet, "But on one condition." I said teasingly.

"And what might that condition be?"she spoke as she rolled her eyes.

"I want to join you." I gave a cheeky grin waiting for an answer. This charm always seemed to work.

"I don't mind." Nasreen said leading the way out.

She paused right before she reached the door."I think you might want to change that outfit." she gestured looking down at my abaya.

I quickly changed into a blue jeans and a black polo shirt and tied my hair with a black scarf and went straight to the kitchen. Amani was also there sitting on the freezer as she played music on her phone. "She will be our DJ." Nasreen said handing me an extra apron.

Our pancakes turned out nicer than we had expected. We dished then out placing them on the table. They looked so lovely I couldn't wait to dig in.

Mahmud

Mahmud

I felt my stomach rumble as a sign of hunger. The half cup of coffee didn't help at all. When ever Mamie allows Nasreen and Amani to make our breakfast, it takes a decade before the food is ready. And it isn't worth the wait in most cases.

I wasn't going to wait any longer. I took the keys to my car and headed out. Just before I reached the exit door, I heard Amani calling out to me.

"Ya Mahmud, our pancakes are ready. Why don't you have some before going out?"

I turned to look at her. I sighed in defeat cause it did smell good. I walked towards the dinning area, the smell of the food itself was filling. I pulled out a chair to join as everyone was seated.

Nasreen served my pancakes with a little extra syrup as she winked at me.

I devoured the pancakes bit by bit. I could swear it wasn't home made.

My ego wouldn't let me comment on the food but I was curious "New recipe? " I asked giving them a questionable look.

"Oh yeah, Minal made them." Amana said nonchalantly.

I was short of words. I looked at her direction but she was busy with her plate she didn't bother to look up. The morning episode came running back as I stood up to leave the table.

"Mahmud where to?" Mamie's voice caught my attention.

"I want to go through some office files Mamie." Scratching the back of my head. I knew she hates it when I bring office work back home but as the CEO of a law firm I had to.

"I want you to take the girls out today.  Minal has been home since she got here. I am sure she feels suffocated."

"Maaamiiee" I groaned. "The driver is always here. They can go out anytime."

Mamie started to get angry."I want you to take them or don't I have the right to tell you what to do."

"I didn't mean it that way Mamie. It shall be done." Feeling very guilty and bad about how I spoke to my mother.

I turned to the girls. "Be ready in an hour or I leave without you."

Mamie shook her head knowing very well what I am capable of.

I was scrolling through the channels as I waited for the girls to get ready. She was standing right next to me. Her eyes lined with Kohl while she had a dark lipstick on although I couldn't tell the shade but it was somewhere between Burgundy and maroon. The way she wrapped her scarf, she looked amazing. But then all girls look good in abaya or so I thought. I shunned the thought as the door bell rang......

Minal

The scent of his heavenly cologne was everywhere as I sat in the living room waiting for the girls to finish their make up.

He opened the door and a pretty young lady came in holding a basket of fruits. She smiled tilting her head to the side as Mahmud 's face darkened.

"Salamu alaikum", she spoke softly. 

"Wa alaikumus Salam." I heard from behind me as someone answered before I did.

" My dear Hannan" Mamie said softly trying to stop her from kneeling down in form of a greeting as she embraced her in a hug.

She placed the basket on the table hugging the girls as the came out of their rooms. She then turned to look at me which made me uncomfortable as Mamie explained who I was.

"Perfect." Mamie said putting her hands together. "Mahmud is taking the girls out. How would you like to join?" Mamie asked placing her hand on Hannan's shoulder.

" I would love that." Hannan said smiling back at Mamie.

I turned to look at Mahmud. He looks very upset and uncomfortable as he stood up and left.

We all followed behind him and watched as Hannan rushed to the passenger's seat.

She must be Mahmud's girlfriend I said to myself. But I don't understand why he is so furious. Could it be that he didn't want us to tag along? I took a deep breath as i turned to the window buried myself in my thoughts.