Court Case

Minal

Just as I was beginning to think that everything was over and back to normal, I began to receive calls from Nazeer threatening to ruin my marriage and my reputation but I decided to call it a bluff.

My marriage is no good of a marriage to begin with and I don't really think I have done anything wrong that would tarnish my image, as the investigators said he is in need of money so he would do anything to get it including empty threats.

I went to Mamie with the issue, I didn't want to hide anything from her just in case it got out of hand and when I did she wasn't at all surprised seeing the contents of the messages. I was informed that Mahmud would be taking the matter to court as he had been receiving similar threats and demands.

The day before Nasreen swore that she was being followed on her way to the supermarket and back. Ammi and Papi were all informed over the phone. Although it wasn't necessary they wanted to be present on the day of the hearing.

I had full fate in Mahmud and so I was able to rest my mind while he did what he does best. Before the time of the hearing Mamie wouldn't let any of us go out just in case Nazeer was planning something and also requested for more guards than necessary.

Days kept passing by and Mahmud would question me from time to time even though we ended up fighting about some of the answers I would give and with that we spent a lot of time together getting closer by the day until it was time for our hearing to commence.

I was more carried away by the presence of Papi and Ammi than the fact that it was my first time in a court and the case could go sour.

After the court formalities were over the hearing started all I could think of was how impressed I was, it was the first time I admired Mahmud, that side of him was unknown to me how smart and professional he sounded, I would feel butterflies dancing in my belly from time to time.

Yet again Nazeer brought out the fact that we were married according to the law and presented the court with a solid marriage certificate and kept his word that I signed under no pressure or influence but I sincerely do not remember getting married to him in any court.

Mahmud moved closer to ask me about this marriage certificate but I couldn't remember anything. So he requested that the court should give him more time before taking any decision and luckily his request was granted.

The drive home was silent, everyone kept looking at me in a suspicious way as if they do not believe a word I say about not remembering anything. Although Mahmud had asked that the certificate should be looked into, he would still pressure me from time to time.

Late that night I received a call from Nazeer, I picked up to ask him why he was doing all this,

"I'm just chasing after what's mine" i heard him say.

"I know everything, every single thing you are hiding Naziru Balarabe" I decided to threatening him a bit but I ended up making him laugh.

"Ohh! You are smarter than I thought" he praised." But you were dumb enough to sign what you thought was a fake marriage certificate so you wouldn't stay in camp" he added.

It was then I remembered how it was he got my signature on his so called marriage certificate, I felt a lump gather in my throat and quickly I hung the call.

I couldn't wait until morning, I began to dial Mahmud's number but there was no answer so I gathered courage and went up to his room. The door was opened after trying for the third time luckily I wasn't seen.

His eyes were red but his bed looked like it hadn't been slept in," sorry I had to wake you up this late" I said pretending not to see his perfectly made bed.