Hurricane

We got home late in the evening, the house was empty ,I thought he would be back by now since he arrived almost an hour ago but then that's not my concern,I just couldn't wait for Mamie's explosion when she sees him, as for me I have made up my mind to expect the worse until the whole marriage thing is over which hopefully would be soon.

I kept trying to reach Nazeer on the phone after Isha but it was still not going through, I was out of options, I had nobody to call, I have never met any of his friends in person or his family members, the wedding was going to be the first time I would meet them but then they didn't show up.

"What if that was the reason I can't contact him, maybe they don't really like me, because they would have made an effort to at least meet with me, they didn't really come to the Kamu, but I know Nazeer, he would fight for our love, but then what if he had no option, he should have called me" I sighed so lost in thoughts

"I just hope he is Alright where ever he is " I said to myself tossing my phone to the side.

There was a sudden knock at the door, and I got up to open it, it was Amani which was unusual, she never knocks talk more of waiting for the door to be opened,

She smiled and lifted the plate up to my face, she made club sandwiches, I ushered her in still amazed by her action as we perched on the sofa in front of the TV.

"I am so sorry for what Yaya Mahmud did today" she broke the silence turning toward me, as I hung my head down playing with my fingers as the event came playing back, I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared.

"He is not so bad once you get to know him, I know he likes to push people away, you will understand everything once you get him to open up to you" she smiled grabbing me by the arm.

"Who put you up to this?" I asked giving her a strange look,

" nobody knows that I am here, I just wanted to talk to my sister that's all" she  said trying so hard to convince me.

" I will just l..."

She was interrupted by Mamie yelling on top of her voice, nobody had to tell us whom she was yelling at.

A smile crept to my lips as Amani and I moved closer to the door to eavesdrop.

MAHMUD

I couldn't deny the guilt that erupted inside of me, I wanted to go back and get her but I needed to teach her a lesson, I felt much better when I remembered that I left the keys in the car and she could drive.

Amin tried to talk me out of it all through the journey but to no avail. I couldn't understand why Mamie was calling me ,she left like twenty missed calls on my phone as I entered the office to get some files.

I got back home after Isha, I tried to quietly walk to my room because what ever Mamie was calling me about wasn't good. Luck wasn't on my side as I bumped into her in the living room with Abbah.

"Mahmud what have you done " Abbah's voice came through with so much anger,

"Is this how I have raised you? What if something had happened to your wife, are you this cold and heartless?" Mamie spoke with disgust all over her face.

Mamie's yelling tore my heart into bits, my parents have never spoken to me in the manner they did today and that too because of the idiot they call my wife.

Abbah walked out on the conversation and I was left with Mamie, she yelled until I couldn't take it any more,

"This girl is your wife and I brought her home with us to give you a chance, is this how you will repay me?" She shout

"I don't remember telling you I like her, talk more of love, you have always wished she was yours well now you can keep her for yourself" I let my anger get the best of me, I started to regret what I had said right when Mamie's hand flew across and landed on my cheek.

I held my face watching tears rolling down my mother's face, as I was consumed by guilt,

" I am so sorry Mamie, please forgive me, I didn't know what came over me" I said grabbing her dress as her sat back on the couch, I rushed to my knees placing my head on her knee just like I did as a boy,

She kept murmuring almost to her hearing alone " what have we done?" 

I sat there for almost an hour begging and sobbing, it was like a hurricane in my soul, I have never seen her like that, and it sucked the life out of me knowing that I was the reason for my mothers pain.

I walked her to her room just to make sure she was okay before I went back to mine, I barely got any sleep that night, I have thought of divorce but right now seeing my mother like that it just wasn't an option , I wouldn't be the first, the only way out of this marriage is if she demands to the point our parents will ask me to do so. My life has just turned upside down.

These past few days were hell for me,everyone was cold towards me, even when we ate together at the table all that could be heard were cutlery clinging. I wasn't even privileged Minal's bubbly character even though it annoyed me, but she is so different even with that much attention.

It was like she grew up over night, not that its any of my concern but I think I prefer the Minal that doesn't get in my face all day, and to think we would be working together for a while would be irritating, I would be seeing more of her than my own reflection.

_______________________________________

AN

Shout out to aseeyerhm for the love and support she has shown me, not forgetting the best in the world, aminabmusa. A shout out to the likes of @kulthum_dauda, @munayaAbubakar , @beent_Omar and @yusufdundun for voting and walking with me through this journey. Thank you very much.