Little Secrets

As the days passed, we took things pretty slow, I had forgiven him and I feel a huge burden has been lifted off my chest but having to see Hannan every single day was like rubbing salt on an open wound.

Fu'ad tried talking to her about the father of her child but she was quiet about everything which was nerve wrecking. A lot of times when I try to get away from my thoughts I end up drowning deeper. "What if he didn't tell me the whole story? What if he just told me what I wanted to hear, taking advantage of my undying feelings towards him? I kept asking myself with no answers.I know he is very smart but he wouldn't play with my emotions...not like that. I tried convincing myself.

It went on for days and I was growing more insane every second. Thank God for my loved ones trying to get me in check and just as the thoughts started to fade away when Hannan's mother showed up on a bright Sunday afternoon as we were preparing to go out for some frozen yogurt.

They exchanged greetings with Mamie as she shyly ushered her into the living room. She sat down on the sofa next to Mamie asking after her daughter when we all entered the living room with the intention of telling Mamie before we all went out.

"Good afternoon Anty Maryam." We greeted as Amani went closer to Mamie to inform her.

"Who is taking you?" Mamie asked loud enough to Hajiya Maryam's hearing.

"Ya Fu'ad is taking us." She answered with a big smile plastered on her lips.

"Toh! Be safe." She said turning back to continue her discussion with her guest.

"Why is Hannan not coming along?" She asked adjusting her sitting position,waiting for an answer but no one said a word.

"So that's how you treat her right! She is going to be the daughter-in-law of this house and this is how you sideline her making her feel unwanted and miserable?! Oh Allah I wonder how she is coping." she accused in a dramatic sigh wiping her invisible tears with her veil. " What is her fault?? The poor girl was manipulated and brainwashed by your son until she got pregnant." She added amidst her cries.

"Dakata Maryam!! It hasn't gotten to that mana!! Besides no one here treats her badly, she just isn't free with everyone yet. Give her time to adjust." Mamie explained as Hannan walked into the room.

She sat close to her mother hugging her but she pulled away giving her an attentive check to see if she was malnurished or for any signs of maltreatment.

"Mommy!! I am okay." Hannan said pulling away from her grip.

"Toh Hajiya Aisha let us talk about why I am here so that I can be on my way." She said clearing her throat

"I want to know where my daughter will be staying after the marriage so that we can start making arrangements because my daughter is not cut out to live under the same roof with a co-wife." She said giving me a scrutinizing look.

"We haven't thought about it...she is only four months along and the formalities are not done yet for a proper marriage arrangement. " Mamie answered and I could feel my heart trying to break out of its cage.

"What proper formalities are you taking about aside from the one my daughter is carrying? I hope you are not trying to cheat us." she said raising her voice.

"Calm down! Nobody is trying to cheat anyone.I am talking about his Waliy and her waliy, or are you the one giving her out?" Mamie asked in annoyance.

"You should have mentioned that earlier ai. Ehhh toh that can be arranged but about the house I need to see it first." She said adjusting her veil.

I stood up to  walk out of the space before I began my waterworks in the presence of everyone when Hannan's voice stopped me.

"Please wait. " she said "I need to tell you something...you deserve to know the truth." she added with her head hung low.