Rain And Rainbows

It has been four days since we came to Gombe. The Sallah vibes have died down. It was time to go back to our various lives not to forget the upcoming wedding that had been driving everyone nuts.

I didn't want to leave my grandmother but she would come to Abuja shortly after we had left. But most of all I am going to miss the way she spoils me rotten not forgetting all the beautiful sites,he herds, the smell of the red soil when ever it rained.

I smiled at the thoughts of all I was going to miss, except for the early morning activities. I giggled softly as I was lost in my thoughts I hadn't even noticed Nasreen coming.

"What's the goofy smile all about?" She asked as she folded her arms into an akimbo.

I turned to look at her with my charming chuckle which made me look like a ten year old on a sugar rush.

"Breakfast is ready psycho." turning to leave the room. "Ermm Ammi asked for your luggage. It should be in the trunk before breakfast is over." I slumped back on the bed thinking of how to carry my luggage out as I was too lazy to do it myself.

I sat up immediately as if someone had poked me from behind. I picked up my phone to call Na'eem. He agreed to help me right away which was unusual, but then probably he had matured a bit. The normal Na'eem would ask for something in return.

The door opened and I sighed at the look of his face. How much I knew the little devil. His face was drooling with mischief "What's the catch?" I pouted waiting for an answer.

"Free WiFi for two days." He said without an ounce of shame.

"What? Just for you to carry my luggage to the trunk?"My eyes widened as I shout.

He scratched his head a bit "Fine one day." He groaned

"Fine." I gave up feeling defeated as he picked the luggage and headed out raising his eyebrows as I followed behind him to join my family for breakfast.

They were all seated on the carpet when I came in. The parlor echoed with laughter. The sound of my ringtone turned all eyes towards me. I pulled it out of the pocket of my green and orange ankara dress. It was Nazeer. My face turned red as I decided between picking the call in front of their hungry looking eyes or walking out of the parlor. I turned my back on them hiding in the corridor to answer my call.

"Hello babes." I spoke in a hushed tone as I played with my fingers.

"Hey babes." He said sluggishly waiting for my wrath but I decided to give him the opportunity to explain why he didn't respond to any of my text messages, not a single message or call from him since I came to Gombe. The thought of that made my blood boil.

"Are you there?" Nazeer broke the silence. I clutched my jaw at the sound of his voice. Letting go of the deep breath I was holding.

"Yeaah." It was almost as if I was speaking to myself but he caught the sound of it. I rolled my eyes at how he continued to blab about how his phone had gone missing.

It was almost unbelievable. I had grown to live without him and it was as if I was giving up on everything. I couldn't help it as it was like I was the only one in the relationship but I had only realized it now. Tears filled my eyes as he said my name.

"Minal..."

One more word and I swear I was going to cry. So I ended the call and set my phone on airplane mode.

I used my fingers to wipe the tears forming in my eyes gently so I wouldn't smug my kohl.

I took a deep breath and went into the parlor. They all had a teasing smile on their faces except for Ammi who was going through her phone.