Surprise!

Mamie seemed to be too excited ever since Mahmud came back. He didn't ask why and for some reason she didn't mention the incident with Hannan.

"Maybe she really didn't like him after all."
He thought to himself, putting a soft smile, reassuring himself that all had gone his way.

There was just something off about that girl. He just couldn't put his finger on it.

Suddenly there was a knock on his door, the door opened before he could sit up and Amani came in. "Salamu alaikum." she came in smiling at him, he answered and he created a space for her on the white sofa.

As much as he liked to distance himself from everyone, it was different with Amani. That's probably because they had a lot in common. "Hello brother, I hope I am not invading." Her eyes were fixed on the TV in front of her.

He huffed "That started the moment you opened that door." He paused as he watched her play with her fingers.

"What can I do for you?"He closed his eyes waiting for her to answer. He knew that when ever Amani got uncomfortable around him,she was about to ask for a favour.

" What will you be doing on Saturday?" She asked looking down at her sweaty palms.

His smile turned to the side narrowing his eyes. "That depends on the request.   Shopping, picnic...or do you want to borrow my car again?" He watched her lips move but no words came out.

"Speak up I don't have all day." His voice was low but he was clearly getting frustrated.

"Nasreen and I would like for you to take us to Abuja on Saturday." She bit her lower lip and held her garment tightly waiting for him to blast.

He took a deep breath "Alright. I haven't seen Ammi in a while too."

"Really?"She spouted, hugging her brother who isn't a hugger. He kept his hand straight until he was out of her grip. He smiled as she ran out to tell the others.

_________________________________________ 
It was almost a week to graduation, Amma's fiance had already arrived in London with Mama and two of her brothers,hoping to catch a good time before the big day.

Minal buried herself in her bed with her blanket. Right now she would watch anything that would play on her screen. She didn't want to be a third wheel on the couple's rendez-vous. 

As much as she tried to put the thought out of her head, it just wouldn't go away. She was jealous. Jealous of everything, she wished Ammi was there. She wished everyone would be there to celebrate with her. She wished her Nazeer was there. Tears filled her eyes as she felt abandoned.

"Hey munchkin." Amma came in without a knock.

Minal quickly tried to wipe her face but Amma was quick to notice. "Are you okay?" She said sounding very worried.

"Oh yes..I am okay." Minal gave her a cheeky grin.
"Huh Alhamdulillah!" Amma said sounding relieved."I thought you were crying."

"Ohhhh noo. My eye just felt itchy." Trying to sound real.

"Do you need to see a doctor about it? "
Amma asked moving closer to get a good look.

"No. Don't bother, its better now." She smiled.

"Okay, Yusuf (Amma's fiance) and I are going dress shopping for the dinner. I know you said you won't be going but why not pick a dress in case you change your mind." Amma was trying hard to convince the poor girl who wasn't sure if she even wanted to graduate.

Amma turned to her bag as her phone began to ring. She answered not indicating who it was as she stared at Minal whose gaze was right back at her but all Minal heard was "Okay, we will be right there."

After the phone call, Amma picked her bag in a hurry then turned to Minal. "Call me if you need anything." She went out closing the door behind her.

Few hours later , Ammi called through her whatsapp. "Minal! What is this I am hearing? You have to make the most of this opportunity. You need to go out there and have fun."

"What are you talking about?".Minal asked sounding confused.

" Amma told me about the graduation dinner. So I am sending someone with a dress. He is probably on his way."

"Ammi dear, You didn't have to. Amma is getting a dress. I would have told her to get one for me."

"I have already gotten it so don't bother Amma about it. He will give you a call when he gets there. "

" Thank you so much Ammi."

Immediately after saying the Magrib praying, her phone began to ring it was an unknown number."It must be the dress."She thought to herself as she walked passed the living room to the door.

All they heard was screaming as she jumped up and down hugging everyone. It was the entire Abubakar Mansur family including her favorite cousins Amani and Nasreen.

She smiled like a lunatic almost throughout the night. Thinking of how foolish she had been not to have seen it coming. They were all in on it including Amma and Anty shattu,but that made her feel even more special.

They went out as soon as Amma returned with the dresses.Minal was too excited to even try out the dress.They met with Amma's family at the restaurant. It was a blissful evening even though Minal felt a little uncomfortable as Umar (Amma' s brother) couldn't keep his eyes off her even when she caught him staring.