Next To You

Minal

I will be leaving for Kaduna in two days. I have been trying to pack my luggage for over two hours now. I feel clueless.

Somehow Ya Amrah was always there to help me pack my bags. I really do miss her.

I picked up my phone and dialed her number.

"Hey babie." Her voice came through as soon as she picked the phone.

"How are you? How was the honeymoon? I hope you took a lot of pictures. How is my brother in law?....." I kept babbling as she chuckled

"Easy sissy. This feels like an interview. You really should have studied journalism."

"Fine whatever." I blurted

"I have missed you so much I wish you where here." She chirped.

"Ohh yeah people tend to miss me when I am not around." I spoke so full of myself trying to annoy Amrah a little.

"Fine I take it back." Amrah replied.

"Let me get to the point. I am starting my NYSC soon in kaduna so I need to pack real quick and.."

"I thought you were going to Benin." Amrah interrupted.

"Who told you that?" I asked seeming rather surprised.

"Ammi." She replied nonchalantly.

"Oh mother dearest. She can broadcast for Africa." I said rolling my eyes as Amrah giggled on the other end of the line.

"Don't laugh away my credit. I actually called to ask what and what I should pack." I said impatiently.

"Ohh Minali. When will you grow up?" She asked.

"Well I have been asking myself the same question for a while now. But I will let you know when I figure it out." I said without a care in the world.

"Fine get a notepad because I'm not doing this again."

The phone call ended right after Ya Amrah had given me the list of all I was going to need which made packing alot easier.

I sat down on one of the armchairs on the balcony watching the sun set as I sipped my favourite iced latte when a call came from Nazeer.

"Hey babe." I squealed upon answering the phone.

"My Minal. I have missed you. Time seems to be going at a very slow pace it frustrates me more. I think I am just going to come fetch you myself." He kept babbling but I was far from reality. I loved the way he calls me that. "My Minal" Am I really his? I thought to myself.

"Very soon." I mumbled as a smile crept to my lips.

"Are you there?" His voice brought me back from my reverie.

"Yeah." Was the only reply I could come up with considering I have no clue what he has been saying for a few seconds.

"I cant wait to see your beautiful face." He said sounding vulnerable.

"Don't worry I have packed and I will be there a few days before camp."

"I will be counting every hour that passes by until our eyes meet again."

"Aww babes you are so sweet. I can't wait to see you either."

"Babes are you really considering going to that camp?"

"Well that's the price I have to pay for ditching Benin according to Ammi." I said with a small pout.

"Not that I want to go." I added