Bumped

Minal

"So where do we go from here?"He asked not talking to anyone in particular.

" I am starting to get hungry." Amani said with a puppy face. We had been out since morning,she was just the first to say it out loud.

"I know a good place we could go. They have the best Italian food in town." Hannan said waving her hands in the air as she kept trying to get Mahmud's attention all day while Amani and Nasreen made fun of her behind her back.

Mahmud is handsome and bloody rich. Girls throw themselves at him almost all the time so you can't really blame the poor girl for trying.

We headed to the restaurant. It was elegant and classy. Mahmud choose a table at the corner end of the room.

He was seated at the table opposite ours,he was almost clueless as our eyes met. He then walked over asking if the seat next to mine was empty. No one answered so I nodded. It felt awkward for a brief moment as the girls stared at him and then back at me.

"I thought you were out of town." I broke the silence, his eyes fluttered as he turned to look at me. "I just got back" He said in a hush tone.

"Ladies,this is Nazeer."I spoke with my head hung low. They all said their hello 's except for Ya Mahmud who had been pressing his phone clearly ignoring everything and everyone around him.

The girls were excited to meet him as I decided not to pick a fight with him in front of them. But it was obvious I was upset.

Did he lie to me? I thought to myself as I withdrew from the conversation around me.

He kept trying in front of the girls you would think it was all for show. He even offered to pay the bills but Ya Mahmud handed his credit card before he could.

Nazeer took a step backwards as Mahmud looked at him with disgust in his eyes.

The girls couldn't stop teasing and talking about Nazeer all day. It felt good at first but now it was getting irritating especially with a lot of questions running through my head.

We went home just before Isha after dropping Hannan off. I was tired. My legs were sore from walking in heels all day. I went into the bathroom to perform my ablution.

I removed my hijab. My skin was drooling with sweat so I drew a hot bath as I stretched in the tub allowing the hot jasmine scented water to caress my body,exposing every pore causing me to relax. As today's event played in my head. I closed my eyes for a brief moment as I tried to ignore the sound of my ring tone but it just wouldn't stop.

Five missed calls from Nazeer. I wanted to ignore him but my mind wouldn't let me. I sat on the bed next to the phone in my robe placing my elbow on my thighs as I buried my face in my palms.

Seconds later,the phone began to ring again. I picked it up as the name flash on my screen.

"Hello." I spoke almost sounding rude. I could hear him breathe from the other side of the line.

"Babe please don't stay mad at me. At least let me explain." I was still quiet so he decided to continue."It was just another surprise ruined. I didn't want to tell you I was coming back today. The restaurant was brief, I needed something to eat but I wanted to come straight to you. I have been dying to see you."

He kept trying so hard to convince me. I was a fool in love so I couldn't stay mad at him,in the real sense it hurts when I am mad at him.

"I was thinking you lied to me about not being in town." I spoke trying to fake an anger.

" Minal we don't lie to one another why start now?"

It was true. We were completely honest with each other on every single issue. Come to think of it, he doesn't have a reason to lie to me, does he? I asked my self trying to ignore all negative thoughts.

Everything was back to normal after a long conversation and by Allah I felt much better. My heart felt lighter as I changed into my pajamas.

Mahmud

Today wasn't as bad as I thought apart from the fact that Hannan was all up in my face. It was so obvious that she was throwing herself at me.

I'd rather chase a girl than have a girl chasing me. I haven't really found "the perfect girl" yet but I will it's just a matter of time before I do.

My thoughts were interrupt with the sound of a text message. It was from an unknown number I opened to see its contents and it said,

"Today was amazing, every moment spent with you cures a lifetime of regret, I know you don't see it now but you will, very soon. With love from Hayati "

My heart was racing. It could only be one person. I clutched my hands trying to control the anger. What angered me the most was how she got the number. I went to bed with an anger almost driven to kill.

We always prayed together during Fajr as much as we could. Today was no different as I led the women in prayer. Mamie sat at the corner reading her Qur'an as everyone stood up to leave. I was left with Mamie as I was yet to finish my supplication. Mamie closed her Qur'an gently placing it on the right side of her mat watching me.

"Salamu alaikum Mamie " as I moved closer to say my morning greeting.

She smiled and stretched her hands to grab mine. "Wa alaikumus Salam "

She demanded to have a word with me. I adjusted my sitting position making myself comfortable.

"You haven't mentioned anything about Hannan to me since you got back. I want you to know that you can talk to me son." Mamie spoke as she took my hand in hers as she continued.

"Hajiya Maryam has told me everything and I am so proud of you dear. But you haven't visit them in a while so I asked Hannan to come yesterday so I could bring you two closer together." Mamie was too excited to notice the confusion on my face.

"I want to tell your father the good news as soon as he returns from his business trip, so we can finalize the proposal."

I couldn't control my shock causing me to choke on my saliva. "What proposal" I murmured quietly to myself. I stood up almost falling back to the ground.

"Are you okay?"Mamie asked looking worried.

" Yes Mamie." I managed a smile on my face as I left the room.

What exactly did Hannan tell her mother? I kept asking as I lay in bed with my thoughts until the sunlight illuminated the the room.