forty five

Andria

Despite my better judgement and also my protests, Riley continues to follow Harry anyway. I hunch down in my seat, scared that we're going to get caught, although Riley assures me that we won't. He seems to know a lot more about following people than I thought, because he tells me it's important to always keep about three cars behind so they don't see you. It worries me a little that he's so good at this, but I decide not to question it.

I bite my nails anxiously as we continue to drive, not able to keep my eyes off Harry's car. Even though I may not agree with this whole tailing thing, I can't help but get into it the more it goes on, becoming more curious about where he's going. I know that I may be being a little crazy and definitely not myself, but if Harry wasn't acting so suspicious lately, then I wouldn't have a reason to be so paranoid.

I begin to bite my nails anxiously as we start heading downtown, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion as I keep my eyes focused on his car. "Where do you think he's going?"

"I don't know, babe, that's why we're following him," Riley says and I roll my eyes at him.

"I don't really appreciate your sarcasm at a time like this."

"Sorry, it's kind of in my genes," he replies with a shrug, craning his neck slightly to see over the line of cars. "Look, I think he's pulling up outside that restaurant."

I lean forward slightly to get a better view, squinting a little in the sunlight, but I manage to see Harry parking his car and then climbing out of it a few seconds later. He pulls his shades down over his eyes as he crosses the road, tucking his phone into his back pocket.

"If you glare at him any harder, you're going to burn holes through his back."

"I want to know what the hell he's doing, that's why. And why can't you get a bit closer? I can barely see."

"That's because we don't want to get caught, dumbass," Riley says, although he manages to find a space on the opposite side of the street and parks the car, giving us a better view.

We both sit in silence as we watch him, acting as if we are literally two spies, although I kind of feel like I am. I know that this is wrong on so many levels, my subconscious is practically screaming that at me. I know that a relationship is nothing if not built on trust, and by me following Harry like this, I'm clearly showing my distrust towards him, but I can't help it. All of this sneaking around and secret phone calls and frankly just suspicious behaviour is the reason I'm being like this, the reason why I'm struggling to trust him.

"Oh my god, who the fuck is that?" Riley suddenly says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I raise my head to look in the same direction he is, noticing that Harry is now stood on the street talking to a woman, a very attractive woman too, I might add. She has dark brown hair which cascades down her back and smooth, tanned skin, and just from the one glance, I already hate her.

"I don't know," I say, replying to Riley's previous question. I narrow my eyes as I try to get a better look at her, pursing my lips as I think. "Maybe she's an author getting a book published? He has to meet a lot of them."

"Since when do authors look like that?" Riley says, his voice and expression showing his clear interest in her and I scowl at him.

"You do remember you're gay, right?"

"Oh yeah, I totally just forgot my sexuality," Riley says sarcastically and I roll my eyes. "I'm just saying, she is very attractive. And I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think she's an author. I mean, what kind of book would she write?"