Late Night Gaming

Jay was so going to win this time.

"Oh yeah?! Think you're any match for the Master of Lightning?! Boom!" Jay hollered, his thumbs twiddling on the controller's joysticks. His eyes were glued to the TV in front of him, his legs twitching very slightly with each minute of concentration on the game.

"Yeeeah! Another win for the master of all electricity! Ahaa!" He yelled out again, a 'you win' in bright red stylized letters flashing on the screen. Jay's chest was hit with a fuzzy feeling, feeling incredibly proud of himself. All this cheering had attracted one of his fellow ninja.

"Hey Jay? Keep it down maybe? It's literally ten at night and we're trying to sleep." Kai huffed, his head poking through the doorway to the gaming room. Jay quickly noticed Kai and paused his game before it could resume itself into another round. He looked embarrassed.

"Oh. Sorry! I didn't k-know I was being that loud. My bad." Jay apologized, flashing a smile. Kai grinned and nodded before walking back into the hallway. He sighed.

Unpausing the game, he instantly turned back into his energetic self, getting hooked into the game again.

///

It was going for twelve in the morning now, and Jay was getting sorta tired. Jay refused to go to sleep though, for the game he was playing needed his undivided attention.

"C'mon just...one more..." He grumbled, his lightning fast reflexes being reflected into his character into the game. Jay squinted, his vision suddenly beginning to cloud.

"No...nono not now..." Jay moaned, watching his character throw various punches and kicks at the enemies coming it's way. He blinked slowly, the tiredness finally catching up with him. Jay tried his very best to keep focused, though it wasn't good enough. His character was stabbed through it's pixilated chest. A 'game over' flashed across the screen, taunting the teenager of his failure. Jay sighed and his hands unlatched from the sweaty controller, letting it bump onto the ground.

"Ok. I'll just...close my eyes for a minute..." Jay gave in, his back being consumed by the bright blue beanbag he was under. He was out like a light.

///

Cole was having a continuous fight with sleep. It was kinda hard to actually shut his eyes for a entire night but he was getting a semi-good night's rest. It was around one in the morning and he was headed to the kitchen to grab a quick breakfast bar or something to satisfy his growling stomach. As he was on his adventure to the kitchen, he noticed a glowing blue light from the gaming room hitting the floorboards out in the hallway. He tilted his head. Kai up to his usual bad gaming habits? That's what Cole thought until he actually reached the doorframe. He peeked in and saw something he didn't expect. Jay was rolled on his side on one of the beanbag chairs, a controller on the floor and the screen flashing 'paused'. Just then, a smile crept on his face. He knew which game Jay was playing. As quiet as a mouse, he sneaked over into the room and snatched the controller off the floor. He gently sat down in front of Jay's beanbag after making sure Jay was truly out cold. Cole resumed the game with a quiet laugh. It didn't take him long to go to the main screen, switch characters, and begin the game as a black cloaked ninja.

///

"Hey bud."

Jay opened one of his eyes. He saw Cole sitting in front of him, dawning a smile. Jay returned the smile and groggily wiped his eyes.

"Hey ColeBear...what time is it?"

"Like six in the morning."

Jay's eyes opened wide this time. "Whoa, really?! I was out for that long?!"

Cole laughed at the teen, placing a hand on Jay's arm. He tenderly rubbed his hand across his forearm. "I didn't wanna wake you. You were super cute just sleepin' there." Cole said, the teen clad in blue pajamas blushing madly.

"I also took it upon myself to...uh...'continuing the game' for ya. So...good luck!" Cole said speedily before busting out of the room in a dash. Jay sat up, confused.

What did he...

Oh.

He did not.

Jay toppled over, picking the controller up into his hands. He quickly maneuvered the buttons and joysticks to go into the main menu. He made his way into the 'high scores' and gasped.

At the number one spot, was Cole. The number two spot was now the holder of Jay's name.

"COOLE!!"