You Tried

AN: based off the little short from ANW lmao
//

Jay was getting his way out of the pool, a stupid smile squiggled onto his face.

"Good job out there buddy!" Lloyd grinned, reaching out one of his hands out to Jay. The wet teen gladly took his friend's offer and was pulled out quickly, a towel being thrown over him by Kai.

"Yeah, you did pretty swell." Nya commented, roughly patting Jay's shoulder, a yip coming out of him. He just nodded, his goofy smile being replaced by one that looked super fake. Cole caught onto Jay's act soon enough. His arms were crossed and he kept a small smile of course, but he watched Jay's every move. Every change in his face, his body movements, everything. He thought he was being over protective for sure but he could never be too sure with Jay. Jay always seemed like a insecure ticking time bomb that could go off any minute.

The rest of the night went pretty smoothly for the team. The ninja force were giving words of encouragement and comfort to Jay, trying to make him feel as a winner as they could.

"I thought you would've for sure fell on the second course...but you got through it like a champ!" Kai cheered out, nudging Jay on the arm now. They were backstage now, Jay sitting down on one of the many seats that were scattered about.

"T-thanks. I tried my best." Jay said meekly, tugging at his new set of clothes that Cole insisted he put on so he didn't catch a cold. Kai then went back off to watch the rest of the event with the other ninja. All except one ninja.

Jay perked up when he felt something tap his shoulder. With a squeak he jumped out of the seat and saw Cole.

"Cole? W-what are you doing here? Don't you want to watch the rest with the guys?" He stuttered, his arms crossing against his chest. Cole shook his head.

"Nah. I can live without seeing it," Cole spoke, drawing closer to Jay. "I've been...uh...watchin' you a lil' bit. Are you ok?"

Jay blinked. He mentally questioned why Cole was practically stalking him but he shook that thought out of his mind. It was just like Cole to be like this anyway.

"I'm ok. Just...just a bit bummed I guess." Jay shrugged, staring at the ground. Cole squinted. He knew very well that Jay was more than just 'a bit bummed'. He could tell by Jay's expression that he was nearly heartbroken. Jay had trained incredibly hard and had such high hopes that were smashed on that course.

Cole gently put a hand back on Jay's shoulder, a smile beaming. Jay quickly looked up, his eyes shimmering with the threat of tears.

"Look dude. I know you tried hard. You put so much effort to pass this course, but you just couldn't do it this time. And that's okay! Nobody is perfect. But next time I know you'll make it. You have it in you, Jay Walker." Cole went on, his smile getting even brighter. Jay sniffled and stared Cole right in the eyes. His freckled cheeks went entirely red as he roughly brought the black haired teen into a loving embrace. Jay dug his head into the crook of Cole's neck, keeping his tears at bay. He couldn't believe he had such a wonderful partner.

"Aww, you gettin' sappy on me already?" Cole awed, taking one of his hands and running it through Jay's doused head of hair. He heard Jay chuckle at this. Cole let him stay in that position before softly pushing Jay from the hug. He held Jay's arms with a tender grasp and gave his sopping wet forehead a peck.

"Love 'ya you big idiot."