Different Scenery

//AN: Set in the show!verse//

Jay held the harness attached to this dragon, a hand placed on the large reptile's front leg.

"Don't worry boy, you'll be alright." He cooed at the dragon, making the large reptilian whine. Wisp closed his eyes and nuzzled Jay's hood.

"Aw, c'mon now." Jay chuckled, patting Wisp's nose, running his hand against his dragon's raggedy scales. Wisp snorted playfully and pushed Jay gently. Jay grinned and went back up to him, taking the harness back into his free hand and continued on. As they slowly walked, Jay took in the scenery. They were in a rather large forest so no enemies from above could spot them. Jay was currently trying to get his hurt dragon to a safe place until help arrived. Wisp had torn some of his wing and his back leg looked scratched up. Nothing too bad, but urgent none the less.

"I think this is a good spot to stop. You need to get off that leg." Jay muttered to his dragon, coming upon a relatively big spot that was free of any stumps or trees. He let go of Wisp's harness as the reptile limped over into the small pasture, clawing at a spots in the grass. The dragon snorted and scratched at a certain part of the ground, grumbling. He let out a long growl as he plopped down onto his side, his wings slowly starting to ease down onto the grass.

"Good boy," Jay smiled, nodding his head. "Mind if I take a quick look-sie?"

Wisp looked at him with his burning red pupils before looking away and grumbling in the back of his throat. Jay took it as a yes. The blue ninja trotted over to Wisp's limp wing, cautiously sliding his hands onto it. He heard a very slight whine from the dragon, a ping of guilt forming in his heart.

"Sorry dude." Jay apologized as he got a even closer look at the damage that had been done to the creature's wing. There was a large hole in it's web, with various smaller holes circling it.

"They really did a number on you, huh bud?" Jay mused as he kept looking over his scaly friend with a forced smile. He knew for a fact that Wisp was going to have to be cooped up for a while to let this one heal. And that was just for the wing alone. Jay worked his way down to the back leg. He was going to get closer but a loud 'THUMP' made him stop in his tracks. Nervously, he looked at Wisp, studying over the exhausted dragon's body.

"To think this day couldn't get anymore worse..." The blue ninja growled to himself before taking out his trusty pair of nun chucks. He held onto them tightly as he positioned himself in front of the big dragon. He was determined to protect Wisp no matter what.

But what came into the clearing wasn't something he needed to use his weapon against.

The Earth Dragon's head popped through the trees, giving out a snort and shaking it's head free of leaves and ferns. He gave a low-pitched grumble and worked his way out from the trees.

"Chill out Rocky!" A voice yelled out from behind Rocky. Jay stood there, baffled. How did Cole find him? At least, he thought it was Cole-a overly loud voice usually meant him.

The black haired boy walked out from the forest along next to his dragon, nearly tipping over some foliage.

"What're you doing here Cole? Where are the others?" Jay questioned, throwing the hood on his head off, his light brown hair messed. Cole laughed at his comrade's hair as he copied Jay, his hood coming off as well.

"They're holding off the rest of the group. They sent me off to make sure you're both protected. But...you seem like you're doin' a pretty good job." Cole said, looking around the clearing as he patted Rocky's side.

"I'll tell ya one thing though. I'm beat." Jay sighed, pushing his weapon away and resting against Wisp's long neck, earning a grunt out of him.

"Tell me 'bout it." Cole replied, roughly patting Rocky's shoulder to signal him that it was ok to wander, which Rocky did. The Earth Dragon trotted away from the group, off to find something to smell or play with. Cole went up next to Jay and laid back near him, his arms thrown under his head for support.

"We could both use some R&R." The black ninja said, playfully punching Jay's shoulder. Jay squeaked at this, quickly putting his opposite hand onto his shoulder. He began to rub his shoulder as he gave a glare at Cole, which Cole just laughed at. Jay let a small smile on his face.

This meant war.

Jay tackled the Earth Ninja into the grass, surprising the lightning dragon. Wisp looked at the two boys, seeing them rolling in the grass and hitting each other, all while laughing. Wisp rolled his eyes and turned his head to the side so he wouldn't have to watch such stupidity.

"Get offff!"

"No way!"

The ninja kept wrestling on the ground, catching each other's punches with ease. As time went on, they went from punching to barely slapping each other, both of their breaths getting ragged. Jay had rolled on top of Cole, pinning the teen's arms to the ground. The black ninja struggled to flip Jay back over, grunting. He started to kick his legs but it was no use, Jay had him down.

"...Ha! I win! I've finally beaten the Earth Ninja!" Jay cheered, his hands still locked on Cole's wrists on the ground. Cole snorted.

"Oh really now? Maybe I'm saving up this...super uber  power to get you off!" Cole barked playfully, his hands tightening into fists and then releasing. Jay scoffed and was about to give a sly remark to his friend before his arms started to shake. Cole noticed.

"Hey...Jay? You good?"

Jay looked at Cole with a confused expression. "Are you trying to change the subject? The subject that involves me being victorious?"

Jay apparently didn't notice that his muscles were about to give out on him. It was already too late to warn him though. His muscles seemingly turned off, sending Jay forward.

"Du-!"

Cole was cut off by Jay's mouth smashing into his. Both of their eyes widened, staring at each other and what they had just done. Jay tried his hardest to scramble off Cole, a dark blush quickly spreading across his face. Cole didn't move however, which made Jay even more nervous. Was he angry? He didn't mean to do that!

But Cole wasn't angry.

Rather, he had wrapped his arms around Jay's neck in a surprising move. His eyes even closed if that wasn't bad enough. Jay's heart nearly froze solid, as if Zane had hit it with his ice blasts. Was Cole...enjoying this?

He couldn't be!

Jay felt something kick in his heart, giving him the energy to break free of Cole's arms and stumble back onto his stomach. He was gasping, oxygen finally filling his lungs once again.

Cole sat up quickly and helped Jay, sitting his friend in front of him.

"I'm-I'm sooo sorry about that! I don't know what came over me!" Cole apologized rather quickly, his eyes wildly darting to see if Jay was ok. He saw the blush on Jay's face almost instantly, his heart skipping a beat.

"It's-it's uh...it's ok..." Jay managed to get out as he let more oxygen flow through into him. The air felt incredibly awkward as Jay caught the rest of his breath. Cole wanted to say something to make the situation lighter or even less awkward but he couldn't find the words inside himself. Jay slowly got up onto his knees, pushing off Cole.

"I'm...yeah I'm really sorry." Cole whined again, looking away. He pouted and looked at the grass next to him. Gosh, did he screw up. Their entire friendship would probably be messed up because of what he just did. He squeezed his eyes tightly. Cole couldn't bare the thought of losing another friend. Just when he thought he was going to get all emotional, he felt something against his cheek.

He opened his eyes to see Jay giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. Jay backed up a bit nervously, his hands clutched together.

"...Sorry. You're just...really cute." Jay said quietly enough for Cole to hear.