earth hurt

//whump fic (contains blood)//

It hurt so much.
He couldn't believe how much he was actually hurting physically. Sharp pains traveled through his nerves, keeping him fully awake and maybe too aware of the things around him. He could still hear the clash of weapons a short distance away. That, and the loud taunting of Kai aimed towards the enemies.
After what felt like a eternity, he heard the flurry of footsteps towards him, the scratch of weaponry coming to a stand still.
"Cole!"
The injured teammate was curled up against a tree, his head tucked in and his eyes wide open. The deep black eyes sped up to see Jay and Kai standing over him, wearing looks of concern for the Earth Ninja.
"H-ey guys..." Cole breathed out, wincing and taking in a short breath. His eyebrows knitted downwards, feeling the pain surge through him again. Jay squeaked, sliding his knees into the grass, stationing himself right next to his suffering friend.
"Cole! Oh gosh- I'm so sorry! I'm sorry!" Jay choked out, his voice shaking and cracking as if he was crying for a good long while. Cole watched Jay's face drain itself into a pale yellow. Cole smiled.
"Don't be sorry. You didn't do it." Cole reassured, uncurling slightly. Kai bent down next to Jay and put a arm around him. Jay pivoted his head and looked at Kai, tears about to fall.
"He's right. It was the bad guys, not us. But what's important right now is that we help Cole. Can you be strong? For Cole?" Kai said in a voice that would make silk jealous. Jay sniffled and wiped his eyes with the sleeve of his GI. He looked down at Cole, who was giving him a sly looking smile. Jay was glad that Cole was still same old Cole. The blue ninja nodded even though he could feel his throat beginning to squeeze shut.
"Y-yea I can...I can." Jay coughed into his sleeve. Kai grinned and nodded, turning his attention over to Cole now.
"Now where'd he get you bud?" The fire ninja inquired, leaning in close to the shivering Cole. Cole didn't bother to tell him verbally and just showed him. He lifted his hands off his midsection, unleashing the sight of a deep gash. It took all of Jay's strength not to break down right then and there.
"T-here huh?" Kai gagged, watching as the blood squeezed out from the wound. The red ninja also took notice of the stained grass below Cole. Bleeding was going way faster than Kai imagined.
"Yeah...it...it really hurts." Cole groaned, stating the obvious and letting his head drop back down into the grass. He stared at Kai, who decided to take action and got even closer. His hands landed on Cole's side gently, making the black ninja inhale sharply.
"Did that hurt?"
Cole shook his head. "I didn't expect your hands to be that hot."
Jay's eyebrows raised and he felt Kai's hand. He quickly took his hand back. "Th-at's pretty w-arm." He sniffled.
"Sorry. Sometimes my element does stuff without me knowing when I'm..."
Nervous.
Nervous was the right word but he didn't want to stay it. His pride would be completely ruined. Yet, he figured everyone could've finished that sentence and figured it out themselves. Kai sighed and his hands started to travel. They slipped down to right around the wound, trying his very best not to make Cole feel too uncomfortable. Though, he still heard Cole grunt.
"That hurt?"
"This time, yeah."
"Sorry dude." Kai muttered, getting a good look at the wound. It was deep enough for stiches, of course. The problem was that it was still bleeding frantically. If they wanted Cole conscious, they had to act now and quick.
"I'm gonna probably dress it." Kai said, putting the information his sister taught him about first aid to work.
Jay whimpered, shuffling over to Cole's head. Cole didn't look too excited about what Kai had just said. The black ninja glared up at Jay, his eyebrows slightly knitted.
"I'-m, I-I'll be here for you." Jay sputtered, his hand finding itself patted in Cole's head of hair. He saw a smile on Cole's face.
"'Aint that sweet of you." Joked Cole before he breathed in sharply again. A yell was stuck in his throat, his mouth hung open. Kai had finally made contact to the wound, a small squeak now coming out of Cole. The black ninja instinctively rolled back up.
"Sorry, sorry..." Kai sighed, turning to Jay. He shuffled closer on his knees over to the freckled ninja and leaned in.
"I'm going to need you to keep Cole distracted so I can work on him," Kai whispered, digging into his GI's pocket. "Do whatever you can. Keep him conscious until we can get him to everyone else. Think you can do that?"
Jay was about to burst out in tears but he was doing a 'ok' job at hiding it. He nodded as Kai ripped a roll of emergency gauze out of his pocket. Kai squabbled back over to Cole's wound and squinted, lifting some of Cole's shirt up. Jay looked into Cole's eyes. They looked lifeless but full of pain at the same time. It broke Jay's heart to see him like this. He found his hand slowly lifting up to Cole's cheek. Jay felt how clammy Cole's cheek was becoming. The blue ninja didn't like that one bit.
"Cole, listen to me, o-k? We're going to get th-rough this together." He choked a few times, tears from a minute ago welling back up again. Cole's eyes focused on something in the distance and then fixed themselves back on Jay. Cole's mouth opened and closed. Then he nodded, moaning.
Jay smiled, a tear slipping down his cheek. He knew Cole could do it. He had to.
Then, Cole let out a screech. Jay scurried back in shock, not expecting the calmest ninja of the team to scream right in his face. Tears flew off his face as he swung his head to look at Kai. Kai frowned deeply, the gauze tightened over the wound.
One strip was down.
"Just keep calm, Cole." Kai tried to hush, wrapping it around again.
Cole was afraid. Oh god was he afraid. He felt even more pressure begin to tighten its way over his gash, groaning loudly.
"Ja-y..."
Jay dipped his head and nodded, Cole's head still in Jay's hands. Cole looked sadly up at him and shifted upwards, his head motioning up. Slowly, Cole brought one of his arms up and snaked it behind Jay's messy head of hair. Jay was about to question what he was doing but the answer came not even a second later.
Cole forced Jay into a kiss as Kai focused on wrapping another layer on. Jay's mouth muffled Cole's groan of pain. They parted once Cole needed air, Jay coughing.
"C-ole!"
Cole coughed up a wad of spit infused with mucus, moaning and looking back up at Jay.
"I'm so-rry." Apologized the master of Earth.
Jay gently shook his head, tears streaming down his flushed face. "No. Don't be sorry."
Jay went in for another kiss as Kai wrapped yet another layer around Cole. They parted again.
"Does it help?"
"...Y-eah..."
"Then lets keep doing it." Jay smiled, sniffing.