Covert

As her self-given quest to find Eren makes her expand her circle of trust, Mikasa sought the help of Connie who seemed to be onto something big. He explains to her what happened after Eren was gone from her life.

(The Night He Left - Connie's POV)

I heard the rumors that Erenwas leaving when I spied on some of his friends. A thing that I do from time to time when I get bored. I confirmed those rumors for myself when I saw the car of Eren's mom leave the house with what appeared to be some of her belongings.

I wondered why Eren has left for a while. Especially without any prior notice, a message or even an apology for not leaving any of those.
It was something that no person would do.
Usually a person who is going to leave would tell everyone he knows about it and would throw one last party before moving... maybe.
I always wanted to go to a party with my friend Eren and probably meet some chicks.

Since Eren didn't leave me a message and just left completely without telling me, which is very rude to do to a friend, I decided to look for clues inside the house. I thought that Eren might have left me something inside his house, since he knows that I can and will enter his house in case of an emergency. He tried to talk to me about it once but I gave him a fake promise. He probably knows about it.

I waited 'till midnight for the perfect time and made my to his house in the dark empty streets.
I went to the backyard so I can see how I can enter the house. I looked at one of the windows and saw that it was still open. I took a second to think about it.

'Does Eren want me to enter? Is this a trap? Should I enter? Should I not?'

I entered the house anyway, and to my surprise, no alarm has been triggered and as far as I'm aware, I am not in jail.

I started to walk slowly around the house, taking my time to examine all the details. I found that most of Eren's furniture is still in place. It could mean that Eren might be planning to return at a later point in time but that is still debatable for the time being.

I walked further inside the house and examined everything I could in search for any clues. I hoped I could find a way to find Eren's new address and get into contact with him, but with no luck. The house was completely devoid of any clue for that purpose.

I decided to look inside Eren's room and so I headed there. Eren's room was already unlocked so I simply walked in without any trouble.

It was completely empty. Not a single item I could use as a clue. Nothing out of ordinary. Eren's closets, drawers and room in general was 'Exsufflicate' as Eren would put it.
Except for one secret place that only Eren and I are aware of.

The bed was still there so I pushed it aside and tapped on the floor 10 times in a rhythmic pattern.

The floor revealed a small opening with a wooden box in it. The box had a golden lock on it. It was beautifully crafted, with designs of a broken heart and letters crafted on it. The letters were the following:

YBMH - M

Eren once told me that he would leave the box there for me in case of an emergency. And I could say that this was definitely one.
Last time I saw the box though, it had not all these designs. Even though he never called or said anything, I know for a fact that Eren acting odd is dead giveaway that there is an emergency, and this box contains clues, or possibly an answer.

I took the box and then closed the opening and then returned the bed to where it should be. And I should note that pushing beds back to their original place, all alone I might add, is not an easy task. I laid down on the floor and relaxed for a short moment to regain some of my lost energy.

Then suddenly, and as I was still relaxing, I heard the main door, the one leading to the front yard, open and dozens of foot steps march in. I took a look outside the window and I saw two small APCs parked outside. And soldiers with some odd type of uniform entering the house silently.

I knew, right then and there, that I was in trouble.

Eren's room window does lead to the backyard but I could not exit there as I would risk falling and breaking my bones. There was a room that leads to the front yard so I couldn't go there in risk of being spotted by the soldiers inside the house.

I decided to head to another room. I opened the door and quickly but quietly went to the room of Eren's mom. Luckily, it faced the back yard and had a backyard roof so I could able to jump down with less risk of injury or death.

I opened the room door and headed to the window, but then I realized that I haven't even searched the room yet. I started to think about searching the room as quick as I can, but I'd risk being caught by those people. But if I didn't search the room, they probably would take what they might find and leave me with nothing. And I knew I would not be content with that.

My heart started to beat faster and faster as I knew that I was racing the clock. Every second counted. My mind was still wondering whether or not I should search the room.

Finally fear and suspense made me make my decision and I started to search for what we Eren could have left for me to find. I opened every drawer and every closet door and searched the entire room, knowing that I cannot let anything be overlooked while also searching quick enough to provide myself with enough time to escape. I did not feel like dying that day.

I started to hear the footsteps of the 'soldiers' becoming louder and louder, meaning that I am getting closer to my supposed painful fate. Either end up in Jail, or worse, Dead. Slaughtered by a Dark Militia, possibly Drowned, eaten by Piranhas, or end up being beaten to a Bloody Mess and left for Dead.

I started to hear mumbling and some soldiers saying 'clear!'.
And then they opened the door to the room I was in.