Homeless

(Mikasa's POV)

The next day, after I got my hands on the blacklist the day before, I decided to head into one of the homeless shelters owned by Armstrong. But I discovered that I needed to lay low for a bit and so I decided to stay at home for a few days and do nothing, plotting my next move and asking people to survey.

The homeless shelters house lots of people and let anyone who cannot afford to live anywhere stay in for as long as they need until they can get back up on their feet. From what the research I've made on the Armstrong shelters, they are all legit businesses that actually seem to operate with the people in mind, and not profits.
I know nonprofit organization exists and lots of them do similar stuff, but the staff in the shelter I visited are actually pretty nice people, ranging from teenagers to young adults and more.
And they all seem to care about each and every one of the people in need.
But then the question remains, is their boss the same as them, or is it just a facade?

I visited the shelter with the intent of visiting a homeless person I know. But 'homeless' is not quite the way to put it. I've enlisted the help of someone who goes by the name Marlowe Freudenberg. He's a guy who owes me a few favors from a few months ago.
I also called in a favor from Hitch Dreyse. She wanted this job so that she would be able to do something all summer after she was punished by her mom for being a delinquent. A school delinquent. She's pretty fond of her job now and had a big change in personality and she's willing to help since I had a big hand in giving her the job.

Entering the shelter, I saw hitch who greeted me at the door.

"Hello, Mikasa! Long time no see! You look great!" She exclaimed while giving a genuine greeting that I sort of did not expect from her.

"Hi. I see you're doing great at your job." I stated.

"Yea. It feels great helping people. Anyway I don't want to waste your time even further. Come with me."

We went all the way to the back area of the shelter where we exited through the back door that led to a basketball court.

"Okay. So here's how it's going. Marlowe is circling around on the third floor, spying on managers and high-ranking staff. He's wearing a dark grey jacket and has his head covered with a black hoodie. That's all you need to know about him. Also here's a key to most rooms on the third floor." She explained. "I have to go back to work. I'll make sure no one interrupts you or anything but that's all I can do."

"Thanks. You've done well." I replied.

"Don't mention it. Now go."

I made my way to the second floor first to see what I can do from there. I checked the rooms to see what's the situations for the homeless there, out of curiosity, not as part of a plan. But as I was there I noticed a large number of security cams all around the second floor so it's safe to assume that the third is going to be just as much under surveillance if not more.

I whipped up my phone and texted Armin, who is now officially part of our little group, and asked him what he can do.

Armin: Security cameras, I can't seem to do anything from here but I'll tell you what you can do if you can get inside the surveillance room.

I went back to the first floor and looked for Hitch and when I saw her I went to her.

"Mikasa! Is everything alright?" She asked.

"No. Security cameras. Why didn't you warn me?" I asked.

"As sorry! I forgot! Those were only installed recently, it must have slipped my mind. The surveillance room is on the third floor as well." She explained.