Chapter 40: Sickness

Lauren POV

"Ren?" Josh asks from the other side of the door.

I don't live with my family since I passed initiation, but now that I'm sick, they come quite often.

Josh have been inisisting on taking me to the doctor, I finally give in yesterday, so we are going today.

I open the door and there he is, my little brother.

He approaches to hug me but I stop him. "It could be contagius"

He nods, "you ready?"

I take a quick look in the mirror. I look terrible. My hair is a complete mess! Well, that's my fault, I haven't showered in three days. Ugh. I'm disgusting!
I'm with a oversized shirt and big sweetpants, and slippers.

I nod and we go out.

"Ren how are you feeling today? Any better?" Josh asks.

"Yeah" I lie, "better"

He turns to look at me, "Ren. You might not be Candor, but you don't have to lie to me"

I look at him but don't say anything.

"Is it getting worse?" he asks again.

"It's like yesterday, not worse, not less"

He just nods.

"How are you doing in the simulations?" I ask him.

He doesn't answer for a while. But finally he says, "I don't know, normal I guess. My time was 10 minutes."

"Oh, that's fine"

"Yeah"

We don't talk for the rest of the way.
I recive a couple of weird looks, but not more than three, I mean, it's Dauntless, people in pjs is nothing new.

You could see people in pjs, people wearing costumes, naked people, people in underware, etc, and it doesn't surprise anyone.

People say we are crazy, but I think we're free.

"Lauren Homes" I react when I hear Josh telling my name to the receptionist.

She types it on the computer.
"Yeah, wait until I call you"

"Okay" Josh says, and we sit on the waiting room. I'm not in a talking mood.

After two minutes the woman calls my name "Lauren Homes", we stand up and go to the room she indicates.

"Goodmorning" the doctor says, "I'm Dr. Henderson"

"Lauren" I say. "This is my brother Josh"

Josh nods and sits on the corner of the room.

I sit on the bed.

"So tell me Lauren, what hurts?"

- - - - -

Tobias POV

I wake up with a bang noise from the kitchen. I quickly stand and slowly walk towards the kitchen.

"Aaaaaahhhh! Shit! Tobias!" Tris yells when she turns around to find me with a bat hold high in my hands.

I laugh. She joins. I thought someone has gotten in!

"Don't do that!" She says punching my chest playfully.

"Sorry! I thought we had an intruder!" I defend, still laughing. "What made the noise, anyway?"

She looks to the floor, where the frying pan is.

"Its fault" Tris says, pointing at it with a pot.

She looks so cute when she does that.

I smile and hug her from behind.
I kiss the top of her head, and I know she's smiling.

I think little moments like this are the best.

After a while I untagled my hands and start walking back to the room.

"Hey! Where are you going?" my fiancee asks.

"To our room" I say without stopping.

"You know we have an hour before work, right?"

I groan. I wanted to sleep!

She chuckles, "start taking a shower while I finish making breakfast!"

I groan again.
And she laughs again.

I take the stupid shower. When I get out and change, I'm able to smell fried eggs from the kitchen.
Mmmm...eggs.

"Honey! Breaksfast's ready!" Tris calls.

I can't help smiling when she calls me like that. And to think just a year ago, I was just her instructor.

"I'm going!"

I sit in front of her-like always-, that way I can look at her the whole time.
She blushes when she notices, and it makes me smile.

"So, how was Lauren?" I ask.

"She's pretty bad"

"Really? What's wrong with her?"

"We don't know, I don't think she knows. We have simulations today, I'll ask Josh"

"Kay" I say, "and Shauna?"

I can see the sadness in her eyes, there is no need of words, I know she's not good.

"She...she is really depressed"

I can imagine. First all the drama with Zeke and the pregnancy, and now her best friend is really sick.
Shauna is not of the open kind, I wonder if she has tell Tris and Christina it. I guess I'll have to ask Shauna herself, I don't want to screw everything, telling secrets that are not mine.

"I wonder where Hector is, I haven't see him since Candor headquarters, I think" Tris says.

"Yeah, me either. Probably with Shauna's parents."

"Yeah, I guess so. Well, we don't have much time left, I cook, so you do the dishes"

I pot. "Together"

"Okay, okay, we'll do it together"

We stand next to each other, washing our own dishes. When she splashes me with the water.
I do the same, but we stop ourselves from turning it into a water war, because we don't have time.
Stupid initiates!

We finish and get our way.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I posted on a Monday! #Miracle!

I still own you one more chapter, so I'll probably post it between Wednesday and Saturday.

THANK YOU SO FREAKING MUCH FOR READING! 40.1k reads!! Dgjvwnrkgjvnwrkjgvnkrjtsvnsr

Love you 😘