Chapter 25: A Storm and A Surprise

****Hope you enjoy this chapter. I sincerely apologize for the wait. I hope that this makes up for it. I don't own anyone from MCU****

Alexis P.O.V.

The rustle of pages and soft breathing occupied the silence that surrounded Loki and I as we read our books. Despite the thrillingness of Magnus Chase's adventure in Ship of the Dead, I just couldn't concentrate as tonight was the night that the Avengers were possibly returning from their mission. Finally, giving up on reading for the moment, I turn to Loki and ask, "Do you think that they will be home tonight?"

Loki's eyes don't leave his chosen novel as he replies, "I don't know. You heard what Stark said. It was either tonight or tomorrow morning."

"I know," I sigh, "I just wish I knew for certain when they were coming."

"Well, I am sure that Stark's robotic butler will tell us whether or not they were going to come tonight or in the morning."

"Yeah, I guess so," I huff as I tuck my feet under me and curl up in my armchair. Silence once again envelops us. 

"Excuse me, Miss Alexis," J.A.R.V.I.S speaks, interrupting the silence. "Mr Stark has asked me to notify you that he, and the rest of the Avengers, will not be returning tonight as they thought they might."

"Thank-you, J.A.R.V.I.S,"

"Well, there is my answer I suppose," I sigh, as I close my book.

"Are you heading off to bed now?" Loki asked, not looking up from his book. 

"I suppose I should or Tony will get angry with me. I was going to stay up and greet them but since they aren't going to arrive tonight, then  I had better go to bed," I 

"I am sure that J.A.R.V.I.S. will inform you should they arrive so I wouldn't delay in going to bed. Stark wouldn't be impressed if he previous behaviour is anything to go by," Loki's eyes met mine as he looked up from his book. 

"I know, " I smile weakly, "I just miss them." 

Slowly, dragging my feet, I walk out of the library and to the elevator. Pressing the button, I stand in silence as the doors close and I go up. Reaching into the pocket of my shorts, I take out my arc-reactor and cradle it to my chest. My mind raced through the last couple of weeks where my life had changed. Having the rest of the Avengers not in the tower was a bit disconcerting when they first left, but now I had accepted it. However, I wanted them home. I miss them, I realise. They were like my new family. I don't want to tell them about my father and have them make me go back. I frown to myself as I gaze at the arc-reactor as the elevator came to a halt. I don't think that they would make me go back, but I didn't want to take that risk. The less they know about my life before I came here the better,  I decide.

Stepping out of the elevator, I make my way to my room with J.A.R.V.I.S lighting the way for me. Entering my room, I quickly scamper over to my bed and flop in the centre. The ceiling was now a familiar sight to me. 

"Miss Alexis, You need to get ready for bed by request of Mr Stark," J.A.R.V.I.S announced, once again breaking the silence that had surrounded me. 

"Alright, J.A.R.V.I.S," I smile as I place the arc-reactor on my pillow and move to follow his, and Tony's, request. Silently padding across the floor to the bathroom, I brush my teeth and change into the pyjamas chosen by Pepper and Nat for me. Finishing quickly, I scurry back over to the bed and burrow under the covers. Grabbing the Arc-Reactor, I place it on the pillow next to mine and cocoon myself in my blankets. The lights start to dim and soon the glow of the Arc-Reactor is all that lights my room.